E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Buttons on the remote (key) not working, but comfort access works.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Thats odd. I dont think there's a separate battery... maybe it re-initialized with the car after you plugged it onto the slot? but doesnt make sense either if CA was working for you. Who knows... Thanks for reporting back though.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive | Space Grey | Sport | Premium | Cold Weather | Comfort Access | 3D MaxPider Custom Fit Floor Mats

I'm glad I came across this post! I had the same issue as OP.

My situation:

I have comfort access with two keys. One key functions perfect, the other key does not want to work with comfort access nor do the buttons work. However, the cut key works, and the key works in the ignition to turn the car on. What I did was, replace the battery and the comfort access started to work again but the buttons did not.

After reading this whole thread, I tried what the OP did. I placed the key with the new battery in the ignition, turned car on, and waited with car running for 3-5 mins. Afterwards, I took the key out and tried the buttons.
Behold, the buttons worked!

My conclusion: If you have a comfort access key which is not working correctly, but the cut key and the ignition part is working, then try my recipe below:

1. Replace battery
2. Test CA.
3. Test buttons. If buttons don't work, proceed with step 4.
4. Put key into ignition system, turn car on and wait for 4-5 mins minimum.
5. Turn car off, take key out, test buttons.
6. Profit!

If everything is electronically sound, your key will be back to normal. Now if your CA doesn't work with the new battery at step 2, try going through step 5 anyhow just in case. If nothing still, your problem may lie in the electronics component unfortunately. Then I would try more radical things such as prying the remote apart to test connections.

I hope this has helped someone. Good luck!

P.S. First post! Just got my BMW!