E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Buttons on the remote (key) not working, but comfort access works.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my secondary girlfriend's key, the buttons stopped working. However, comfort access works normally. It is possible to enter the car and start the engine (as there is a separate battery for comfort access enabled keys). However the buttons don't work.

Is there an integrated battery for the buttons? Will putting the key into the ignition on a longer trip recharge it?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by kreveta
On my secondary girlfriend's key, the buttons stopped working. However, comfort access works normally. It is possible to enter the car and start the engine (as there is a separate battery for comfort access enabled keys). However the buttons don't work.

Is there an integrated battery for the buttons? Will putting the key into the ignition on a longer trip recharge it?
No. Only one non-rechargeable battery is in the remote.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

Note that the comfort access-enabled key is different than the standard key.

The standard key can be recharged in ignition, according to the manual. The CA-enabled key has a removable watch-style battery.

And so it confuses me why the buttons doesn't work. May you clarify your reply please?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Note that the comfort access-enabled key is different than the standard key.

The standard key can be recharged in ignition, according to the manual. The CA-enabled key has a removable watch-style battery.

And so it confuses me why the buttons doesn't work. May you clarify your reply please?
Did you replace the battery?
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

Yes, the battery is new.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

If CA works then it's not a battery issue. Either the circuitry for the buttons is bad or the board is dislocated so when you push the button it's not "pushing" the correct spot on the actual circuit board.

CA remotes do not charge.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Senior Members

Thank you.

Well, what a piece of junk then. So simple electronics, broken in just 2 years. We don't use the buttons anyway and the key never fell from the hand (no physical damage), but it seems the profile memory is on the same broken circuit board too - the girlfriend's profile is not loaded upon unlocking even though CA works.

Ordering a replacement key. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Figured it out! No need for a replacement key!

As I was thinking, just put the CA key into the ignition to recharge it.

It seems there's a separate removable battery for CA and another one, non-removable for the remote and buttons. Recharged it in the ignition and all the buttons work now.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

Figured it out! No need for a replacement key!

As I was thinking, just put the CA key into the ignition to recharge it.

It seems there's a separate removable battery for CA and another one, non-removable for the remote and buttons. Recharged it in the ignition and all the buttons work now.

I'm thinking you got it working but not for the reason you describe. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Well, the buttons started to work as soon as I pulled out the key from the ignition after like 1 minute with the engine running.

Quick Reply: Buttons on the remote (key) not working, but comfort access works.