E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

busted rear charge air inlet

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:16 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535xi wagon oem (just starting the change)
Default busted rear charge air inlet

HELLLLP, newbie here,, 08 535xi wagon, bad wastegates had both turbos rebuilt (turbo lab of america) installing them yesterday and of course no info anywhere on how to with the xi, had rear turbo installed and turbo was reassembled slightly wrong, so oil return line would not line up, while taking back off i broke the plastic charge air line from air cleaner, as everyone knows its very difficult to get any of this hooked up in that tight space. any good options to replace the charge air lines and get away from the stock restrictive plastic ones or am i destined for JB welding the old one, it seem endless options for the 335, i have searched all over this site for similar issues cant find any..
currently in limbo until i get this resolved...thanks pc
Old 12-04-2016, 09:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i - JB4 - 38% E85

Originally Posted by two point
HELLLLP, newbie here,, 08 535xi wagon, bad wastegates had both turbos rebuilt (turbo lab of america) installing them yesterday and of course no info anywhere on how to with the xi, had rear turbo installed and turbo was reassembled slightly wrong, so oil return line would not line up, while taking back off i broke the plastic charge air line from air cleaner, as everyone knows its very difficult to get any of this hooked up in that tight space. any good options to replace the charge air lines and get away from the stock restrictive plastic ones or am i destined for JB welding the old one, it seem endless options for the 335, i have searched all over this site for similar issues cant find any..
currently in limbo until i get this resolved...thanks pc
You can get silicone inlets from RB turbo or VTT. I run the RB inlets with diverter valves, a good option as you don't have to change anything else. I don't have an xi, it may be more difficult but you can change out the inlets in a day. I wrote a DIY guide for this on n54tech. Replacing it with a stock inlet will require you to lower the motor a little, silicone inlets require a little bit less dismantling. You shouldn't even have to drop the subframe.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:19 PM
New Members

thanks viperware currently subframe is dropped it is nearly impossible to get to the turbos without doing that esp with the Xi.. I think I found it... has anyone used these? it looks like I can go ahead and just cut out the old one, install the turbos and then hook these up when they come..

https://www.n54tuning.com/rbturbo-n5...e-inlets.html#
Old 12-04-2016, 04:19 PM
New Members

Yep, those are the exact ones I have had on mine for 25k+ miles. Here is a link to the DIY guide. It was hard for me because it was my first time working in that area but if I had to do it again I know I could do it quicker. If you've gotten as far as dropping the subframe you should have no problem.

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35626
Old 12-04-2016, 04:57 PM
New Members

Default other mods

great write up and photos... what other mods would you reccomend since i have it this far apart? you talked about the down pipes, which ones are good and reasonable priced?
charge pipes?, i have rebuilt stock turbos, just want to up it a little i have always been amazed how fast and responsive it is and was even with bad turbos that had leaky wastegates. considering tuning with cobb or other, dealer said cats were bad was thinking of just taking them out, no emissions testing here. i know the choices are endless but not my bank account.. thanks pc
Old 12-04-2016, 10:52 PM
New Members

Definitely downpipes next. I have the Dr.Euro downpipes and is what I would recommend but I don't know if they are available anymore. VRSF has copied his design and those are readily available. For tuning go with MHD for flash only, it is cheaper than Cobb, has more functionality and tables unlocked, and is supported. Cobb has discontinued support for N54. I prefer JB4 piggyback + MHD stacked together. Burger tuning has the cheapest upgraded chargepipe. I went with evolution racewerks chargepipe and intercooler at the same time. ER is pricier, so you can save money by getting the Phoenix racing chargepipe from burger and a generic intercooler. No guarantees on the fitment though. The ER package is designed for the 535. Mix in a little E85 if you can get it and you will be in business. I can keep going but for starters, upgrade in this order. Dual cone intake, tune, downpipes, chargepipe, intercooler, inlets, fuel pump, meth/port injection, outlet, and if you've done all this it's probably time for hybrid turbos. I have Pure stage 2, but the upcoming VTT GC+ turbos will be beast. After that you will need a transmission upgrade which is not available yet but should be soon. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Mmp inlets are cheaper
Old 12-08-2016, 04:24 PM
New Members

thanks max 96 ordered them today hopefully will get here soon.. i also got the twin filters from them. I've read all kind of posts about how people say they're worse then the stock box at least on a dyno we'll see i wonder if they have a 60 mph fan blowing on the front of the car during the dyno? at 7000 ft ill take any decrease air resistance to the turbo i can get... cheers