E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Burnt by seat heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had issues with their seat heater? Specifically focused heat in one spot of the seat - when I say focused I mean burning to the touch. Now I don't use the heater anymore because I'm afraid of some permeant damage to the seat. I've read online an instance of the heater burning through, but I can say in my case there was no burning smell. Is there a reset, fuse, or some wire I can check to ensure the functionality is ok. Otherwise I'm thinking the seat heater is just plain busted. I have CPO time left, so if there's no obvious fixes I'll just take it to the dealer.

-Jay
Old 12-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='1081354' date='Dec 29 2009, 03:43 PM
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has ever had issues with their seat heater? Specifically focused heat in one spot of the seat - when I say focused I mean burning to the touch. Now I don't use the heater anymore because I'm afraid of some permeant damage to the seat. I've read online an instance of the heater burning through, but I can say in my case there was no burning smell. Is there a reset, fuse, or some wire I can check to ensure the functionality is ok. Otherwise I'm thinking the seat heater is just plain busted. I have CPO time left, so if there's no obvious fixes I'll just take it to the dealer.

-Jay
Sorry to hear about that. There's an active recall to remedy your situation. I would contact the dealer to see if you car was affected. Normally, you would have received a letter from BMW asking you to bring your car for the repair, but I would contact the dealer just in case you missed the letter. All they need is your VIN number and they'll be able to tell. G/L
Old 12-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1081362' date='Dec 29 2009, 03:48 PM
Sorry to hear about that. There's an active recall to remedy your situation. I would contact the dealer to see if you car was affected. Normally, you would have received a letter from BMW asking you to bring your car for the repair, but I would contact the dealer just in case you missed the letter. All they need is your VIN number and they'll be able to tell. G/L
That's good to know! I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks! -Jay
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Update: Car is at the dealer. They had to order a new heater core for the seat and a new seat cover? Is the seat cover going to be a new leather seat cover, and if so how will that look agains the old leather? I'm a little concerned...

-Jay
Old 01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='1086617' date='Jan 8 2010, 11:17 AM
Update: Car is at the dealer. They had to order a new heater core for the seat and a new seat cover? Is the seat cover going to be a new leather seat cover, and if so how will that look agains the old leather? I'm a little concerned...

-Jay
I had the same work done on my E46 and frankly I couldn't even tell. I even questioned whether they really changed the cover or not, but it was done under warranty, so I didn't really care. Leather color is black, and maybe that's one reason I couldn't tell.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1086907' date='Jan 8 2010, 06:53 PM
I had the same work done on my E46 and frankly I couldn't even tell. I even questioned whether they really changed the cover or not, but it was done under warranty, so I didn't really care. Leather color is black, and maybe that's one reason I couldn't tell.
That's actually some good news! The E60 is a 2004 with black interior, so the fact you had similar work and couldn't tell makes me fell better. Honestly I hate being picky. Fact is I've been really happy with my dealer. They've seemed to really go out of their way for me, and would a huge reason to buy another BMW from them. Honestly what it comes down to is having my seats heater working again. That said it sounds like it's all going to work out...

-Jay
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BimmerJay' post='1081354' date='Dec 29 2009, 03:43 PM
Hey all,

-Jay
My seat is hot to the touch also. I was told the recall covers the backrest and not the seat bottom. The dealer told me it would be $1100 to fix. That seems a little much, so I don't use the seat heater.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Contributors

Do a search on this site. Both top and bottom should be covered under the recall.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

When I first got my car, I noticed a hot spot on the left pad of the drivers seat. Hot enough to be really uncomforable - even through jeans.

The dealer replaced the left thigh pad including (I was told) the leather. My interior is auburn. So I was a little worried about the colour match. No problem. You really can't tell at all.

I believe it was replaced under the normal warrenty.

Cheers