E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Burning Smell from Air Vents - High Mileage E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have a high mileage (130K+) 2004 525i and recently I have noticed a very powerful burning smell from the air vents a few days after an oil change at a private shop. No messages have come up on the iDrive and car behaves normally. I drove the car 100 miles immediately after the smell, set the cabin air to recirculate the inside air, and didn't notice any more issues.

I purchased the car 5 years ago at 95K and since have changed the cabin air filter, the engine belts ("V-Belts"), spark plugs, and only performed oil changes.

No other work has been done as the car is driven less than 4K miles per year. This smell is worrisome because I have read that cooling system (radiator) issues are common on the E60. Since the E60 has no temperature gauge I hope the iDrive would warn me if the car was overheating. The E60 is automatic and completely stock.

Any thoughts you could share would be very welcomed, thank you.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Bmw E60 530i 2004 Jet Black sport package on Linea Corse 19" Lc818 Saphire Black

I have almost the same problem than you, after some research, I found that changing the valve cover gasket, would fix the problem, cuz maybe the burning smell comes from a oil leak from your engine,,, so you should check if you have a leak. To do help you to find it, clean your engine, than examine for leaks..
Old 12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

New Valve Cover Gasket should fix your problem.

I would also recommend new thermostat, water pump and inspect the radiator for leaks.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Members

Thank you guys for the quick responses. It appears the part number I need is 11120030496.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Members

Apprently this item is also mentioned in an Edmunds review:

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/5-series/...liability.html

Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Valve Cover Gasket, the Crankcase Ventilation Valve, and the Pressure Regulator Assembly.

The cost to repair the Crankcase Ventilation Valve and the Pressure Regulator Assembly are estimated at $150.00 to $350.00 for parts and $165.00 to $330.00 for labor, depending on the engine type. The cost to repair the Valve Cover Gasket is estimated at $34.00 for parts and $117.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgm001
I have almost the same problem than you, after some research, I found that changing the valve cover gasket, would fix the problem, cuz maybe the burning smell comes from a oil leak from your engine,,, so you should check if you have a leak. To do help you to find it, clean your engine, than examine for leaks..
If it is oil leak, then oil level should decrease right?

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but i have burning smell throgh A/C vents too but ONLY WHEN I DO HARD ACCELERATION. And I have actually put the A/C setting to inside circulation. On normal driving, no smell occurs. On stationary, no smell occurs eventhough I rev the car. My oil level is not decreasing.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Not really my oil level did not drop until around the time to change it. I had the same issue with a valve cover leak, run your hand around the back of the passenger side back corner to the back they mostly leak there also leaks around the seal of the coils where they attach to the plugs. They need to be replaced also when you replace the valve cover
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by buddy
Not really my oil level did not drop until around the time to change it. I had the same issue with a valve cover leak, run your hand around the back of the passenger side back corner to the back they mostly leak there also leaks around the seal of the coils where they attach to the plugs. They need to be replaced also when you replace the valve cover
Ok let me check mine. The car only has 15k mileage, so i didnt thought of this.
Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 AM
Members

UPDATE: I non BMW local shop did the work for under $200 (parts and labor). I haven't smelled it again yet, but hopefully this fixed the issue.

A big thank you to those to replied to this message with their input (tgm001 and Dawid_w).
Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

what did they change/fix?

Quick Reply: Burning Smell from Air Vents - High Mileage E60