E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BURNING OIL SMELL FROM VENTS

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all,

I own a 2004 545i 6 Speed with 67,xxx miles on the clock. Recently, I've noticed the smell of burnt oil coming through my vents ONLY when the heat is on. This happens fairly often (1-2 times per my 50 mile commute) and lasts for about 2-3 minutes each instance. Any ideas on what this could be?

Little more backround...
-I've racked the car at a friends shop and neither him or I can find a leak for the life of us (nothing from valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, accessories and no "weep leak").
-I've run searches both here and e60.net with little to no info on the subject.
-It does seem to happen more often after higher revs have been achieved, but it does also happen in low-rev/cruising conditions.

Any input on this subject would be greatly appriciated, as I would like to fix this issue before the winter sets in.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by CosmosKrammer
Hello to all,

I own a 2004 545i 6 Speed with 67,xxx miles on the clock. Recently, I've noticed the smell of burnt oil coming through my vents ONLY when the heat is on. This happens fairly often (1-2 times per my 50 mile commute) and lasts for about 2-3 minutes each instance. Any ideas on what this could be?

Little more backround...
-I've racked the car at a friends shop and neither him or I can find a leak for the life of us (nothing from valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, accessories and no "weep leak").
-I've run searches both here and e60.net with little to no info on the subject.
-It does seem to happen more often after higher revs have been achieved, but it does also happen in low-rev/cruising conditions.

Any input on this subject would be greatly appriciated, as I would like to fix this issue before the winter sets in.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM
New Members

Kosmos:

I have a 2006 525xi and I had the same problem. It turned out to be the valve cover bolts break in the passenger side rear of valve cover and leak oil directly onto the manifold and burn away so it is hard to find a leak. These bolts break alot if they have not been replaced. The new ones are supposed to be better that you buy now from BMW.

I found 3 valve cover bolts broken off and had to replace them. You have to buy a complete set of bolts (around $40.00). One of the bolts had the head still on and when I put a socket on it, it fell off. You may want to check all of them. The ones in rear of valve cover are hard to get to, but if you remove some of the cabin air duct work it will be a little easier.

Hope this helps.

Note.....I finally got up the courage today to do the whole valve cover gasket job. Was not fun but I got it done.

Good Luck, Hope this helps

Don
Old 10-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

+1 to leaking valve cover gaskets. 67k miles is about the right amount of time when they start leaking. Definately the age thing. It (smell) will only get worse as the leak gets worse. Usually, the smell is worse while idling after cruising. The lower air flow under the hood lets the fumes linger and get pulled past the less than perfect underhood sealing.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

these cars are peices of shit./ nothing should be leaking at 67k miles espically a high end car
Old 10-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

I have the very same issue on my '04 525 with 80k miles. Not sure I want to tackle the valve cover gasket replacement, but the dealer was asking some high price last time I checked. I need to find a good local independant.

Anyone have an idea of how difficult this is and what a good independant would charge?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Members

Agree with valve cover gasket leak. Just had the dealer replace the gasket on my 2008 528Xi with 71,000 miles. ~$600.00
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
these cars are peices of shit./ nothing should be leaking at 67k miles espically a high end car
Agree about should not be leaking, but disagree about piece of shit. I think the problem is the BMW quality control for part is piece of shit. Low end job, low wage so people don't care.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

If it's the bolts, I doubt BMW makes and designs their own bolts. I'm pretty sure that part is sourced from somewhere with low quality control unfortunately.

It would be awesome if someone can do a DIY on this. Don155, do you have the part number for the new bolts? I would like to do this as preventative maintainance since my car is nearing 60K.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i Titanium Grey Metallic/ Gray Dakota Leather

Any update on a DIY or good local independant? I have a 2004 525I with the same issue....The stealer is quoting me $600 to replace the gasket...

Quick Reply: BURNING OIL SMELL FROM VENTS