E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bumper protection?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 Sapphire Black 545i, Auburn interior, PDC, Fold-down rear seats, Nav, Premium sound

I was wondering if any of you guys have some accessories/toys to use to protect your bumper when parallel parking in the city. I leave my car on the street all the time since I live in the city, and I'm worried that other ppl will bump into my car while they are parking. Do any of you have protective coverings?

I did see one car add "prongs" on their license plates so that if anyone ran into them, it would hit the prongs instead of the car. Kind of ugly, but brutally effective. I'm hoping for a more aesthetic alternative, but would rather have the car a bit uglier than have a huge dent!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

I have a clear bra on mine (front and back). Not very good for major bumps though.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Members

there's really no one great measure against other people messing up your ride otehr than pure aviodance! unfortunately, its a necessary evil most of us have to deal with. like when i go to the mall, i always try to park at an isolated spot..wife and kids hate it...at times i'll just drop them off and stay with my baby...kindda eccentric but hey, what the hell!
Old 10-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Sapphire Black 545i, Auburn interior, PDC, Fold-down rear seats, Nav, Premium sound

How long does the clear bra last for? And once it gets messed up, does it come off easily with no residue?

I wonder if i could find a place in boston to do that for me.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

There are different manufacturer's of clear bra material. Some with "life time warranties", not to yellow or crack. If it gets ruined, as part of mine did when a brushed an angles high curb, it peels off with no problem. If part of it gets ruined, a good installer may be able to cut the ruined part out and replace it.

I have several micro-faults in my clear bra where it has protected the paint from pebbles/stones on the highway.

You can search the web and probably find an installer. It's becoming more popular now. Maybe call some BMW or other high end car dealers to see if they have an installer.

If you search for "clear bra" on this forum you'll find several of my posts on the topic.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

How about a car cover with a lock on it?

This is an area where someone should come up with something. Maybe some material where the hood and the trunk would lock it in place.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

How about an alarm sensor that blares "Back off, sucka!" when someone gets within a few inches of your car.
Old 10-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Members

Haha - i've seen those alarms before, i think on MTV "pimp my ride"

I would stick on one of those bumper protectors you can pick up at the store, but i'm worried that once i decide to take it off, it'll leave a nasty residue, or worse, mess up the paint on the car!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

get couple traffic cones and put one in the front and one in the back .
Old 10-18-2004, 08:49 AM
Members

Haha - i see that all the time too... ppl putting cones around their ferrari or something.

Quick Reply: Bumper protection?