E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bulge in tire...

Old 10-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

So, I've had a slow leak in my right rear tire. Took it to a local shop with good reviews, and they said there was a nail in it that they replaced and fixed.

I specifically asked them if it was anywhere near the sidewall, or any other high-risk places. They verified it wasn't - that it was right in the middle of the flat area and easily repairable.

That was about a week ago.. Today I look over at my tire, and I see what's pictured blow.

What should I do? Obviously.. the tire has to be replaced at this point. Is it just coincidence that this happened though? Or could the tire place have screwed up, or not given me the whole truth about where the nail was?

Bulge in tire...-img_20111028_162235.jpg
Old 10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

It's possible, but not likely they lied for 2 reasons: 1) If they repair a tire in an area (like the sidewall) and it causes you to crash they are liable & 2) they make more money by selling you a new tire than by just fixing your old one badly.

I'd say it's either coincidence or the object that had the nail in it caused more damage to the tire than was initially thought or obvious.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you drive with the tire under-inflated before the tire shop patched it? Hard to see how their repair would have caused or contributed to this tire problem. Or it could be internal damage from an impact / pothole and it only recently began to show.

On the plus side, Continental tires sometimes include road hazard coverage - http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/CONTI1.pdf

Check that out and it could save you $s with the replacement.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by pjinca
It's possible, but not likely they lied for 2 reasons: 1) If they repair a tire in an area (like the sidewall) and it causes you to crash they are liable & 2) they make more money by selling you a new tire than by just fixing your old one badly.

I'd say it's either coincidence or the object that had the nail in it caused more damage to the tire than was initially thought or obvious.
+1, either way, it is time for a new tire!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport 911 carrera cab 2006 Toyota 4 runner 740I sport - sold 735il - sold 528e - sold

I agree with the others, I doubt your nail incident caused this problem . This seperation in the sidewall is generally caused by hitting a pothole or object at this spot, compressing the sidewall against the rim and causing the bands to seperate. Time to replace quickly as this will eventually blow out. I speak from recent experience .
Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 AM
Members

Continental tires r good brand but i have bad experience with the side walls bulging up like that.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Well, just dropped it off. Getting two new rear tires to keep things symmetrical.

But with my luck, the tire place has a rather long line today... Walking back home in the middle of a snowstorm is fun!

Wtf is with this snow in October!? >=(
Old 10-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Well, just dropped it off. Getting two new rear tires to keep things symmetrical.

But with my luck, the tire place has a rather long line today... Walking back home in the middle of a snowstorm is fun!

Wtf is with this snow in October!? >=(
I dont think I ever remember it snowing before November... I have an inch already but I live in the hills ... I just scrambled to put the hardtop on the Jeep so I dont have to risk driving the 5'er in the 8-12 inches they are forecasting for... I have ContiDWS's now but I am not that eager to test them out!

Good luck with the tires!
Old 10-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Just got one in my brand new conti.... Seems 1 a season. Wish you couls sue the local government for taking such sh!tting care of the roads
Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Members

Coincidence. The OEM Continentals are known for this sidewall bulge problem wherever there are lots of potholes - a Google search will show you. I got my first one as soon as we got spring thaw and pothole season here in Michigan and from what I found online it looked like that was just going to be the beginning. So I ditched them and put on the tires I really wanted, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, and haven't looked back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bulge in tire...