E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bug free software, does it exist?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 03:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a lot of questions about CIP versions since BMW does seem to mix up something new while fixing something else. As a curiousity I can mention that there has only been ONE computer program (so far) that came completely bug free. It took three years to verify it and it was only 64 kb, yes, similar in size to that famous Commodore 64 computer.

The software / program was later installed in the shuttle of Apollo 11 (the Moon mission). It is also mentioned in the Guiness Book of World records.

So believe it or not, but CIP 19 will not be the final solution :-)

/Knubblo
Old 07-06-2005, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I.T. people rely on it for job security. (They probably build the bugs in)
Old 07-06-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

We all know it does not exist! Just look at Windows form Microsoft :'(
Old 07-06-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Jul 6 2005, 02:14 PM
[snapback]146205[/snapback]

You better believe it...its a self perpetuating career path, when the techie has run out of ideas they unleash it on us to iron out the wrinkles....then V 2.0 comes out etc etc etc
Old 07-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

Bug free software is an oximoron like Jumbo shrimp or inexpensive BMW or
American English
Old 07-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't say "American English", but you should say "U.S. English". There might be some a American migrate to England and naturalized as an English.
If there is bug free software, SW engineer will be outsourced very soon. Don't you guy believe that E60 and E65 software are written by Indian in India?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Jul 6 2005, 01:16 PM
Don't you guy believe that E60 and E65 software are written by Indian in India?
[snapback]146274[/snapback]
We used to do that until realized we losing functionality after every bug fix,
they were deleting (or commenting out) problem areas. Just like RDS I don't have anymore
Old 07-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I've been in software development for over 30 years and I don't see an end to software having at least a few minor bugs. No matter how thoroughly you test it, something unexpected always seems to show up. Some combination of things that you didn't expect to occur and don't handle well. It has to do with complexity and the huge number of possible combinations of states and process interactions. You just can't test for all of them in a timely manner, so you focus on the really critical stuff to avoid catastrophic failure and accept the fact that there will be some annoyances.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Jul 6 2005, 02:30 PM
I've been in software development for over 30 years and I don't see an end to software having at least a few minor bugs.? No matter how thoroughly you test it, something unexpected always seems to show up.? Some combination of things that you didn't expect to occur and don't handle well.? It has to do with complexity and the huge number of possible combinations of states and process interactions.? You just can't test for all of them in a timely manner, so you focus on the really critical stuff to avoid catastrophic failure and accept the fact that there will be some annoyances.
[snapback]146302[/snapback]
It is all users fault, if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have any problems, correct?

It's too funny, RDS does not work period, not under certain condition, never.
You saying that couldn't be tested, comon now ...
Old 07-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Jul 6 2005, 09:14 AM
[snapback]146205[/snapback]
Oh man that hurts :'(

But it also rings true. I used to work fulltime for a bank. I was asked to build exchange connectivity in less than a week, well knowing me they kind of demanded it, so I built this system that went live without a single hitch and made them 30 million dollars in its first qaurter of operation alone! Naturally I expected a huge bonus and promotion, but the system was so flawless, they hired an Indian firm to support it in case it ever failed and laid me off

Not that this affected the way I deliver services to my clients but I decide to go independent contracting route ever since and couldn't have been happier.

Quick Reply: Bug free software, does it exist?