E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BST Bypass Fix or Buy New BST Cable??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:24 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Model Year: 2004
Default BST Bypass Fix or Buy New BST Cable??

Just curious how many have applied the ~$5 "temporary fix" or the correct method in buying the $283 new BST Cable??

After driving an hour to a local electronics store to purchase the "unclearly" stated 2ohm resister, I am leaning towards just doing it right and buying the cable.

If you peruse the blogs, a 2ohm resister is stated. Then on Roskinc's product page, he offers a 2ohm ".25w" transistor fix. Unfortunately I saw this "after the fact." But when I went to the store, I saw 2ohm 1/2 or 1/4 and ruled those out and saw the 2ohm (no fraction or wattage) were kept behind the counter. So I asked/received a 2ohm resistor.

Then one poster said after a year he figured out the 1ohm worked for him and not the 2ohm. Another said he tied (2) 1ohms together to make the 2ohms. Then, after going through a lot of youtube comments about the "fix", it appears while it works for some, not for others, the information still appears unclear and sketchy for a critical safety function.

I only saw where one poster stated the same thing about just buying the cable since it's a critical function and just curious...

How many others just purchased the cable and most importantly, cleared the error(s) by replacing the cable??
Thanks. V/r - T

Last edited by Tsoup; 03-09-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Emphasize Question!!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

I'm curious about this too. I just picked up a 545 and having been trying to fix a code 991A on the SBSR module. P.O had an resistor already jammed into the socket, so I tried soldering it in place, to no avail, need to get this figured out so I can get the car plated, and not really sure I want to spend $500 on a stupid battery cable.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:01 PM
New Members

My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray

I was going to buy my cable from ECS...its cheaper. Thankfully I didn't have to spend a dime. I searched Safety Recalls online and my year/model is included in the Recall of the battery cable. So I scheduled my first EVER appointment w/the Stealer who gladly fixed it while I sipped delicious caramel lattes in the posh waiting room. It took about 2.5hrs -- I also allowed them to update my software -- that did cost me $150.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:45 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

Correct me if I'm wrong but the battery cable recall was only to replace the plastic guard where the battery cable goes through the trunk floor pan. And mine has already had that recall performed yet I still have a 991A error code in my SBSR module
Old 05-09-2017, 08:03 PM
New Members

The battery cable recall replaces the entire positive cable that goes from battery all the way back to the middle of the trunk where it's grounded under the carpet.

But you'll might be correct and have other issues going on. First, I never plugged my code reader in to see what codes where registered. I don't recall exact dash error but something about passenger restraint was the error which points to the BST cable fix...which I took the research further to find the recall.