E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

broken shark fin Antenna.. now what.?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 10:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT
Default broken shark fin Antenna.. now what.?

hello,
so i was trying to remove the shark fin to do a roof wrap, thought i would just unplug the antenna underneath the plastic protective fin and ended up ripping the soldered contacts off the motherboard where it plugs in..
so its time for a new one.
What is the official name for this thing, i found one on tischer which is oem parts but is it called a satelite antenna? that is what seems accurate on the parts list and pic on the site..
heres a pic.
Name:  IMG_1857.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  44.3 KB

-so once i buy it, is coding needed? when i turned the car on after it was disconnected it said cruise control malfunction and SOS call malfunction on idrive.

radio stil works, and it says my iphone is still connected. what is this for?

-I found one of these from tischer i believe for $250. Not the end of the world i suppose.
-now just for coding questions, or is it plug in and done?
-is my pricing accurate?

thanks for any help you can give me, im borderline freaking out by the thought of bringing my car to the dealer

Last edited by Bill109; 05-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i made the same mistake. luckily i only broke the gps one...i just replaced it with a GPS on i got off ebay, and have it in my dash..no problems with signals...

if you want to fix it, what i was going to do is since you broke off those tabs that solder onto the main unit, its hard to soler it becuase its 5 points and you have no room... i was going to get 5 little strands of wire, and solder each strand to the broken point, i spoke to a neighbor of mine who deals with electronics and he said it would work, he was going to do it for me, but was going on vacation and so i just ordered the GPS one off ebay for like 10 bucks.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by roskinc
i made the same mistake. luckily i only broke the gps one...i just replaced it with a GPS on i got off ebay, and have it in my dash..no problems with signals...

if you want to fix it, what i was going to do is since you broke off those tabs that solder onto the main unit, its hard to soler it becuase its 5 points and you have no room... i was going to get 5 little strands of wire, and solder each strand to the broken point, i spoke to a neighbor of mine who deals with electronics and he said it would work, he was going to do it for me, but was going on vacation and so i just ordered the GPS one off ebay for like 10 bucks.
im a little confused..
my car does not have navi.
the only ones that broke are the outter two plugs. the center plug is made of some sort of metal so that one did not break.
at this point i just want my cruise control to work and to get the sos and cruise control malfunctions off the dash..
could you elaborate a little more or shoot me a pm?
thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Members

I'd say you don't need it at all. Code your car to disable BMW Assist (SOS call malfunction) and call it a day. My understanding e60 has 4 antennas for radio reception and none of them are in the fin.
I'm curious how cruise control malfunction is related to the fin antenna.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dbond
I'd say you don't need it at all. Code your car to disable BMW Assist (SOS call malfunction) and call it a day. My understanding e60 has 4 antennas for radio reception and none of them are in the fin.
this doesnt make me feel like a complete idiot now.. although idk how to do coding, and i'm not sure who can do it here in the northeast (CT/MA) besides the dealer. if these fin antennas are to expensive ill look into the coding option.

im certainly going to look into this more..

Originally Posted by dbond
me as well perhaps it was a random error? that particular error message never came back. that sos message did.

i'd like to just get the car back to the condition it was in before i decided to make the terrible decision.
ended up wrapping the roof in gloss black. not sure i can live with my job so its twice as frustrating.