E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Broken Head Bolt - $2,800!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car starts up with a rough idle this morning. Sounds and feels like a misfire. Take it to the dealer and they tell me #4 cylinder is misfiring and needs a new coil pack. $408. OK, 90k miles, a bad coil pack, not fun but I can deal with that. Then....

They tell me they noticed some oil on the side of the engine and covering the bottom engine cover. The "exposed" head bolt on the front left side of the engine has apparently broken off and the head is leaking oil. Bottom line is $2,800 to remove the head, replace the gasket and bolt. :thumbsdown: OUCH!!!

I am considering just replacing the bolt, torquing it and then cleaning it up real good to see if the oil leak continues. I have heard that valve cover gaskets are common leaks. How hard is it to replace the valve cover gasket on the N52? Is it possible that the valve cover is leaking and making it look like the head is leaking??? The car doesn't use any oil outside of a normal 1/2 quart or so every 6k-7k miles.

Thanks a bunch for any help or guidance.

Any reputable independant shops in the Norfolk, Newport News, VA Beach, Richmond Virginia area? I would even consider the Raleigh, NC area.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Try replacing the bolt and monitoring if it still leaks. If it still leaks, you know it wasn't the bolt.

Process of elimination.

Since the leak isn't that bad, it sounds like something I'd do to try to figure it out.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

usually when a head bolt breaks, you need to take the head off to be able to get the rest of the bolt out.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

You have the 6, so do what you suggested with the bolt. Also, check to see whether the leak is a valve cover gasket leak -- that's a few hour DIY for that engine.

Head gasket's a bit tougher...Seriously, check with an indy shop for an alternative price.

Future reference: coil pack's an easy fix. As fast as changing a plug.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

You can try an easy-out on the bolt. I have used this with several broken bolts on other things and have had a good success rate. Will certainly be much cheaper than removing the head. The gasket could still be damaged because of spacing created by missing torque to hold the head down. I'd try the cheapest route and evaluate the surrounding head for leaks. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

why did this head bolt break? did you have cooling issues in the past? overheat?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turboawd
why did this head bolt break? did you have cooling issues in the past? overheat?
+1 don't hear about too many head bolts breaking
Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
+1 don't hear about too many head bolts breaking
Let me first say that I really appreciate the input from everyone. Great forum with some really great info!

On the bolt breaking I really don't have a clue why. The car has never overheated and has had all of the regularly scheduled maintenance and inspections. The valve cover leak was picked up last time it was at the dealer and the SA and I elected to let it ride until the next time because it really wasn't that bad. Other than normal filters and what not the car has been rock solid.

I have an appointment with an independant shop in the morning and they sound much easier and more practical to deal with.

I hope to be able to get the work done right without paying the dealership overhead. I don't mind paying for a qualified technician to make a repair. Those guys have earned their due. But, it seems like the dealership is more proud of their new espresso machine in the lounge than anything else.

Hopefully I will have a good recommendation on an independant shop in the Hampton Roads, VA area at the end of this.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

If it is a head bolt that uses no sealer and you can get to the broken portion with a pick then you can pick at it and get it out usually in less than 5-10 mins. If the threads are good and not binding it simply un threads, getting a grip on it is the issue. but i seen some take as long a day with some of my old techs as it can be very tedious work.

I've seen head bolt break off the head. It is not that uncommon.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Members

Dropped the car off at the Indy today. The plan is to pull the intake, easy out the broken head bolt, replace it, install a new valve cover gasket, clean it all up and see what we get from there. I am confident that it will work. But, only time will tell.

I will update when I get it back in a couple of days.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Quick Reply: Broken Head Bolt - $2,800!!!