E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

brightness sensor is crazy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

do you have the same problem with auto light on/off? at the brightest daylight suddenly the light turns on though it does really not need to. is it the same with yours?

maybe it's our old CIP (has never been updated yet)
Old 06-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This issue has been addressed in later CIP versions but one thing I'm starting to notice is that the sensor is also considering sun position. When the sun is at an angle (not high in the sky) the car considers that a condition to turn on the lights -- which is probably safer due to shadows and other drivers being blinded.

Most of us who've used automatic lights over the years got used to a simple dusk sensor that used only ambient light and not solar postion. I think the smarter, safer way is to turn them on as the sun becomes low in the sky and if you pay close attention, you'll see that when the sun is low, most newer, higher-end cars have their lights on...
Old 06-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

I would rather the lights come on early than late. How early is early?

My only gripe about the Auto Lights is that they don't turn on when the whipers are on.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='292309' date='Jun 4 2006, 10:51 AM
My only gripe about the Auto Lights is that they don't turn on when the whipers are on.
I agree completely -- there's no reason why they can't connect the logic between the two systems to have the lights come on any time the wipers are activated (settable in iDrive as an option.) Heck, our old Town & Country minivan did that...
Old 07-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Members

Talking

Hi Post,

The discussion is a good one and I hope someone from BMW will actually take note of these points. I am in West Africa, Ghana we are directly under the sun here... damn it gets hot. Now at 1600 hours GMT my car lights will turn on and I also found this rather ill-logical. Until i read this post I had the feeling the system could be operating on a two logic system which act as redundant logics to each other. Say a programming code is set that informs, depending on your manufacturers country, the lighting system to automatically turn on at 1600 hours till 600 hours and the secondary logic was to have a scenario that will turn the lamps on when the sensor detects complete darkness. I mean this will be a cheap and fast way for a programmer and sensor engineer to get away from actually having only the sensors do the work. Whilst I appreciat Rudy's logic I think I am of the oppinion some simple logic was used compared to that.

I also agree with the fact that the logic could have been much more intelligent if a function was available via the iDrive to automatically activate the wipper and fog/parking lights when it is raining, instead of the usual head lights. At least I can set this option up in my Merc W211.

I use a 2003 W211 and 2004 E60 and I will tell you anytime, I love driving the E60 compared to the Merc. But certain smart logic have been made logic sane and obviously making it easy and romantic driving a Merc, yet I beleive with all the innovation the E60 is promoting, it infact should have been a leader in revolutionarising driving pleasure.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='292308' date='Jun 4 2006, 05:47 PM
When the sun is at an angle (not high in the sky) the car considers that a condition to turn on the lights -- which is probably safer due to shadows and other drivers being blinded.
Nordic traffic safty studys say that the headlights should be on all the time!

As we have, them shine or rain, nite or day!

Think!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='308955' date='Jul 10 2006, 07:10 PM
Nordic traffic safty studys say that the headlights should be on all the time!

As we have, them shine or rain, nite or day!

Think!
agree it is just safer
Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 AM
Members

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Berlin.BMER' post='309333' date='Jul 11 2006, 07:36 AM
agree it is just safer
I will suggest that BMW make this an option under Vehicle settings also. So we can have options to:

1. Automatically engage head lights on ignition
2. Automatically engage head lights on wiper movement
3. Automatically engage wipper (Keeping the override button) switch just like the Auto headlight feature.
4. Automatically turn head lamps when car is unlocked and light sensor and auto headlight sensor records dusk/twilight or night state.
5. headlamp delay switch off - walk home function
6. function for day-light running (On/Off)

These features are standard on Mercedes E-class (W211) more so the Classic versions.
Unless my suspicion that BMW has MAJOR issues with the PROGMAN/CIP software stability or it's concept of automation requires too many processors on each parts control. Can't they have one central control unit with redundancy?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 525d Mystic Blue Business Line

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='292312' date='Jun 4 2006, 05:10 PM
I agree completely -- there's no reason why they can't connect the logic between the two systems to have the lights come on any time the wipers are activated (settable in iDrive as an option.) Heck, our old Town & Country minivan did that...
There's definitely a link between wipers and automatic head lights. My head lights come on with a higher brightness when the wipers are in auto mode. The proof is that sometimes when I park the car and I switch the auto wipers off, the head lights immediatly come off though the brightness didn't change because I'm stopped.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fantomas' post='309403' date='Jul 11 2006, 10:07 AM
There's definitely a link between wipers and automatic head lights. My head lights come on with a higher brightness when the wipers are in auto mode. The proof is that sometimes when I park the car and I switch the auto wipers off, the head lights immediatly come off though the brightness didn't change because I'm stopped.
I haven't seen that before -- anyone else?

Quick Reply: brightness sensor is crazy