E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Originally Posted by lolly' post='345342' date='Oct 16 2006, 02:56 PM
I have the 255/50/17 Bridgestone Runflats on my wifes 525.
I have had to replace both of the back tyres due to punctures but the second tyre was replaced with approx 44000km. It looked like it was due for replacement soon but the nail just forced my hand. The car is currently on 55000km and the front tyres have about 2000 to 3000 km life left before they need replacing.

Overall I have been happy with the tyres in both the wet and dry. My only concern is that I have never had a puncture before using runflats and now I have had 4 punctures in 2 different cars (the 525 and my 645)....It seems as if the Runflats attract nails :'(

Here is South Africa we have a definate problem with getting stock of the runflats and you have to be lucky that you don't have a puncture when there is no stock in the country.
I notice you drive a 645, missed you in the E63/E64 section :'( .
I'm not interested in your wifes car , but please show me the pics of yours.

What tires are you running on your 6er? And what milage do you get out of them.
I am happy with my Bridgestone Potenza, but so far only 3000 km.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

My 530Xi w/M-Sport package comes with Bridgestone Potenza 050A 245/40-18 RFT's. So far we have driven over 10,000km and have no complain except that wet traction is not as good as the Goodyear F1 DS-G3's on my Audi A6 3.0Q. With four wheel drive this is not a big setback.

When I had the car sent in for AUX input retrofit and sunroof repairs I was given a 525i with 17" Continentals as loaner. May be I am too used to the very firm ride of the runflats, the Continentals on the 525i feel overly soft and handling is not as sharp. (M-Sport package in the 530Xi does not include sport suspension so the suspensions in the two cars are basically the same). Even the Goodyears in the Audi feel firmer and handle sharper.

I had been considering a switch to non-runflats but I think I will stay with RFT's for now. I am getting Dunlop M3 DSST (runflat) 17" for the winter.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='345062' date='Oct 15 2006, 09:46 AM
I'm not all that impressed with my stock runflats and I'll likely switch within the next six months. Wear and noise are not issues for me. But handling in dry roads and reasonable handling in wet roads are. The RE050ARFT's are horrible in the wet roads. Even my prior 540i/6 with SP-02's did much better in the rain at any speed.
I'm looking at replacing my SO-2's that have been on the car for almost 32,000 miles... the first Bridgestone RFT where really POS's but the new ones??
Old 10-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i auto, PDC, Bluetooth, Sunroof, RFT, Towbar AND 2005 645ci Convertible auto, PDC, Bluetooth, RFT,Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Tv function, Navigation, CIP v23.02, Aux input, Logic7 Hi fi, CD changer, front seat heating and lumbar support, lights package, Style 121 19" tyres

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='345456' date='Oct 16 2006, 08:12 PM
I notice you drive a 645, missed you in the E63/E64 section :'( .
I'm not interested in your wifes car , but please show me the pics of yours.

What tires are you running on your 6er? And what milage do you get out of them.
I am happy with my Bridgestone Potenza, but so far only 3000 km.
Hi Doc Horror

My first posting on this forum was in the E63/E64 forum but it was moved to the "new introductions" section.
Here is a link to my post http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=30857.

I have the Bridgestone Potenza tyres on my 645. 275/35/R19 at the rear and 245/40/R19 in the front on Style 121 rims. I bought the car just over a month ago and the car had approximately 22500 km on the clock. The front tyres are about 50% worn. The back left tyre was new as the previous tyre had a puncture. About 3 weeks after I bought the car the run flat indicator went off showing that I had a puncture.
I found a big piece of rubber missing in the back right tyre (I could see the metal belts) as well as the fact that the tyre had a "plug" in what must have been a previous puncture. The BMW dealer wasn't interested in replacing the tyre although they have issued a letter to all the local tyre companies telling them that they are not allowed to repair runflats.
To cut a long story short it took me 10 days to track down a replacement tyre which I fitted last friday. So now I have 2 new tyres at the back and 2 tyres on the front with about 50% wear. The new tyre cost me R5500 which is approx us$730. Not sure if that is expensive compared to Europe?

Regards
Old 10-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 645 Ci, Individual Stratusgrey Metallic with individual grey leather Individual Stratos metallic, Shadow line, Black Individual leather, 19'' ellisoid, Panorama sunroof, PDC, Dynamic drive, Adaptive steering, Adaptive headlights, Voice control, Logic 7, Prof sat nav, BT phone, TV, Heated Sport seats, Ski sac, light pakket, CD-changer. Mods (so far): iPod interface, K&N Airfilter.

Originally Posted by lolly' post='345475' date='Oct 16 2006, 09:06 PM
Hi Doc Horror

My first posting on this forum was in the E63/E64 forum but it was moved to the "new introductions" section.
Here is a link to my post http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=30857.

I have the Bridgestone Potenza tyres on my 645. 275/35/R19 at the rear and 245/40/R19 in the front on Style 121 rims. I bought the car just over a month ago and the car had approximately 22500 km on the clock. The front tyres are about 50% worn. The back left tyre was new as the previous tyre had a puncture. About 3 weeks after I bought the car the run flat indicator went off showing that I had a puncture.
I found a big piece of rubber missing in the back right tyre (I could see the metal belts) as well as the fact that the tyre had a "plug" in what must have been a previous puncture. The BMW dealer wasn't interested in replacing the tyre although they have issued a letter to all the local tyre companies telling them that they are not allowed to repair runflats.
To cut a long story short it took me 10 days to track down a replacement tyre which I fitted last friday. So now I have 2 new tyres at the back and 2 tyres on the front with about 50% wear. The new tyre cost me R5500 which is approx us$730. Not sure if that is expensive compared to Europe?

Regards
I have my car for about 3 months now, and loving it. I experienced exactly the same thing as you did. Both the front and back tire were worn asymetrical. All 4 tires had extensive wear at the inside shoulder. The front tires had about 50% left and the back tires were due to be replaced. I discussed it with my tyre dealer and they advised me to replace all 4 of them and as recommended by BMW with the Bridgestone Potenza's (275/35/R19 at the rear and 245/40/R19 in the front on the same rims as yours). When removing the tyres from the rims, the left rear tyres had enormous cracks (almost complete circumference) and also a big loose peace of rubber. As I bought the car second hand, I can't tell what happened, was it due to the complete wear or hitting a curb or ditch?
I paid ?1480,- for the 4, which is about $2000,-.
I know there is a lot of discussion about the RFT's, but I thought I should form my own opinion/experience with the RFT's. And even if I should go for non-RFT's in the future, there is no room for a spare.
So far, I am very satisfied with my Potenza's, no complaints (yet).
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i auto, PDC, Bluetooth, Sunroof, RFT, Towbar AND 2005 645ci Convertible auto, PDC, Bluetooth, RFT,Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Tv function, Navigation, CIP v23.02, Aux input, Logic7 Hi fi, CD changer, front seat heating and lumbar support, lights package, Style 121 19" tyres

Originally Posted by Doc Horror' post='345492' date='Oct 16 2006, 09:47 PM
I have my car for about 3 months now, and loving it. I experienced exactly the same thing as you did. Both the front and back tire were worn asymetrical. All 4 tires had extensive wear at the inside shoulder. The front tires had about 50% left and the back tires were due to be replaced. I discussed it with my tyre dealer and they advised me to replace all 4 of them and as recommended by BMW with the Bridgestone Potenza's (275/35/R19 at the rear and 245/40/R19 in the front on the same rims as yours). When removing the tyres from the rims, the left rear tyres had enormous cracks (almost complete circumference) and also a big loose peace of rubber. As I bought the car second hand, I can't tell what happened, was it due to the complete wear or hitting a curb or ditch?
I paid ?1480,- for the 4, which is about $2000,-.
I know there is a lot of discussion about the RFT's, but I thought I should form my own opinion/experience with the RFT's. And even if I should go for non-RFT's in the future, there is no room for a spare.
So far, I am very satisfied with my Potenza's, no complaints (yet).
Except for the punctures I am also happy with the tyres so far. I guess we both are just going to have to see what happens over time with the tyres.
The 645 is one of he nicest cars I have ever driven. Enjoy yours
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Members

My Ride: MY2007 530iA (Week 3 Production, Jan 2007). Silver Grey, Black Leather/Dark Poplar Wood. Packages: Sport (w/comfort seats), Premium, Premium Sound/Logic 7, Pro-Navigation, Cold Weather. Individual Options: PDC, HUD, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, Fold-down rear seat, Rear Airbags, Rear Electric Sunshade(s). Previous: 2005 530iA, Silver Grey/Blk Leather (loaded, but no SP) 2000 528iA, Silver Grey/Blk Leather (loaded) 1994 318iA, Red/Blk Leather 1992 325ic, Red/Blk Leather 1987 320i 1972 2002i

Just wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this RFT topic. Placing the order for the MY07 530i w/SP and other goodies next week...again, thx!

v/r

Leo

Current Ride (for the next 60-90 days): MY05 530i, silver grey/blk lthr; fully loaded minus SP.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I have over 15K miles on my Bridgestone's and they seem to be getting noisier as they age. Nowhere near as bad as the Dunflops, but not exactly quiet either. I plan on switching to Mich PS2's after these wear a bit more.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='345956' date='Oct 17 2006, 04:50 PM
I have over 15K miles on my Bridgestone's and they seem to be getting noisier as they age. Nowhere near as bad as the Dunflops, but not exactly quiet either. I plan on switching to Mich PS2's after these wear a bit more.

My 2006 came with 18" Dunlops... they have fewer than 12K miles on them, but they are still doing great. I have never felt the car was unstable in the wet. Far from it. The dry handling of these tires in incredible too. For all the gripes people have had, the Dunlops are good where it counts.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

I am very impressed with these potenzas. They stick to the road no matter wet or dry. They last forever. This was my second summer on them and they have quite a bit of thread left. On the runflats the ride is poor and there is tyre noise on rougher tarmac. I'd love to replace them with the same set but non-runflats. The ride is appaling on anything but the perfect asphalt. Turn-in is a bit sharper on the rfts from what I've heard but thats not enough for me to go runflats again. Mind you there is a new and improved RE050A I think its called advanced or sth similar.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Run Flats