E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Breakdown! 10/07 530i

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010 | 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: Nov 07 530i M Sport - Sports Auto - Carbon Black - black dakota - 172's - Media - Visibility - Heated front seats - Auto dim / fold mirrors

Friday 15th

So, just 4 miles into the 51 mile journey back from my accountant, my car packs up. Just cuts out, won't start again. Right in the middle of the road, blocking everything, causing chaos.

After a minute or so, it will start but only runs for about 20 seconds, just long enough for me to get it on the pavement. A couple more goes at that and I got it onto a quiet side street.

Ring BMW assist - they are flat out busy due to all sorts of shenanigans in the snow but get someone out to me in about 1 hour 30.... Back of truck to nearest dealer. Workshop full to the gunnels, no courtesy cars available. Assist organise a hire car, local Avis depot has no cars, not one! So they get me a taxi home on their bill and a car will be sorted for me some time tomorrow...

Most of the afternoon wasted as a result, what a right pain in the 'arris

As this is the second time in 22k miles this car has died a death, I think it might be a bit of a lemon and I will be looking at changing cars now. More aggro.

And then, to top it all, there isn't even enough milk in the fridge for a cup of tea!

Sat 16th lunchtime

320d SE arrives. Not too bad, but missing some key toys - like satnav, heated seats and the more comfortable ride that comes with a 5 over a 3

Tue 19th 5pm. Dealer doesn't yet know what's wrong with it, hire car extended by a day
Old 01-19-2010 | 12:13 PM
Contributors

Really hope you get your baby going again and hope you're under warranty. I always get so freaked whenever anything happens now that mine is out.
Old 01-19-2010 | 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Nov 07 530i M Sport - Sports Auto - Carbon Black - black dakota - 172's - Media - Visibility - Heated front seats - Auto dim / fold mirrors

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='1093594' date='Jan 19 2010, 10:13 PM
Really hope you get your baby going again and hope you're under warranty. I always get so freaked whenever anything happens now that mine is out.
yes its a warranty job

I think this one will be going before the warranty is up
Old 01-20-2010 | 07:14 AM
Members

well its now a PUMA case

Today's update is 'We pushed it into the workshop because it wouldn't start and fastened it to the diagnostics. That came back all clear, OK. So we sent the file to Germany for help.'

So far, I have to say that am not overly impressed
Old 01-20-2010 | 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by JPJP' post='1093575' date='Jan 19 2010, 03:41 PM
Friday 15th

So, just 4 miles into the 51 mile journey back from my accountant, my car packs up. Just cuts out, won't start again. Right in the middle of the road, blocking everything, causing chaos.

After a minute or so, it will start but only runs for about 20 seconds, just long enough for me to get it on the pavement. A couple more goes at that and I got it onto a quiet side street.

Ring BMW assist - they are flat out busy due to all sorts of shenanigans in the snow but get someone out to me in about 1 hour 30.... Back of truck to nearest dealer. Workshop full to the gunnels, no courtesy cars available. Assist organise a hire car, local Avis depot has no cars, not one! So they get me a taxi home on their bill and a car will be sorted for me some time tomorrow...

Most of the afternoon wasted as a result, what a right pain in the 'arris

As this is the second time in 22k miles this car has died a death, I think it might be a bit of a lemon and I will be looking at changing cars now. More aggro.

And then, to top it all, there isn't even enough milk in the fridge for a cup of tea!

Sat 16th lunchtime

320d SE arrives. Not too bad, but missing some key toys - like satnav, heated seats and the more comfortable ride that comes with a 5 over a 3

Tue 19th 5pm. Dealer doesn't yet know what's wrong with it, hire car extended by a day
JP, sorry to hear about your predicament. No offense, but I had to chuckle when you stated that your car might be a bit of a lemon because "this is the second time in 22k miles this car has died a death." This suggests that you are probably on the younger side. If, like me, you were an older guy, you would probably remember when cars were considered reliable if they made it 5-10K without "dying a death." Goes to show how much today's cars have evolved that two incidents in a 22K miles span makes us think that we're dealing with lemons.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and that your problem gets resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.
Old 01-20-2010 | 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Hate sticking my neck out, but would it be the fuel pump?
Old 01-20-2010 | 08:16 AM
Members

I do remember when cars were deemed miraculous to make it to 10k miles without 50 oil changes and at least two major repairs - they were my dad's though not mine!

Not sure if its the fuel pump or not - that's for them to work out isn't it? I just drive it!
Old 01-20-2010 | 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by JPJP' post='1094110' date='Jan 20 2010, 12:16 PM
I do remember when cars were deemed miraculous to make it to 10k miles without 50 oil changes and at least two major repairs - they were my dad's though not mine!

Not sure if its the fuel pump or not - that's for them to work out isn't it? I just drive it!
Haha, the good ol' days.
From what you described it sounds more likely that it could be fuel related. Either that or your computer is fried. G/L
Old 01-20-2010 | 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

this really sucks, hopefully you still have warranty
Old 01-21-2010 | 07:56 AM
Members

Right, its fixed

It was the 'high pressure fuel pump' that had failed - well done to the knowledgeable posters here

I shall be collecting it at 0800 tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Breakdown! 10/07 530i