E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: How did you break-in your E60
Follow the manual
84.44%
Drive like you stole it
15.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Break-in Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

I was just wondering how did everyone break-in their E60. I hear follow the manual (1200 mi.) and i also heard "Drive it like you stole it". I read on the forums that if you drive it hard from the start the piston ring seals better. Wonder if any of you have info on this to see if its true or not. Thanks for your inputs
Old 04-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='270096' date='Apr 17 2006, 10:03 AM
I was just wondering how did everyone break-in their E60. I hear follow the manual (1200 mi.) and i also heard "Drive it like you stole it". I read on the forums that if you drive it hard from the start the piston ring seals better. Wonder if any of you have info on this to see if its true or not. Thanks for your inputs
Dealer gave me a full explanation, but I was prepared since I downloaded the manual from this forum ( very helpful since it is my first BMW), otherwise there would have been no way for me to remember all that.
For the first week I re-read the manual on specific topics. So I guess I qualify as a pre-reader of the manual - an option to add to your poll ?

On the run in, I would take it gently if I were you, all these mechanical pieces need to be polished to get used used to each other. And for the seals it is similar, adding more revs is adding pressure and temperature and doing this in a phased way allows the seals to settle fully.

Have fun
Old 04-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Did 1800miles as per instructions...got to 1801 and shreaded the maunual!!!!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I took it really easy for 2000 km but since then...
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Contributors

In all my cars. I followed the manual as much as i could. Hey..even after the breakin period...i keep it low and smoth. -- --

wow....even lease cars i treat them like i would treat a lady.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I did pretty well following instructions except for those times I drove it in DS mode. Then if I drove spirited I was over 5500 RPM before I could look down to see the tach. to notice that had happened. I was more diligent with my M3 as it is sort of a race engine, and there were considerable engine failures. But now I have over 3000 miles and am going on a 5 day road trip. This is not transportation for me; it is entertainment plain and simple!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

I've run in all my BMW's by the book.
Although it is not easy - just a slight laps in concentration & you can easily exceed the recommended revs
Old 04-17-2006, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Did European Delivery last year. Was told not to exceed 100mph/4500rpms. Got onto Autobahn and was consistently passed by VW golfs, Audi stationwagons, and others.

Of course, I was on the right hand side being passed as I was doing 100mph. Got a lot of looks from those that passed me. I'm sure it was not in admiration of the car but why the hell is the BMW doing so slow?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Followed the book to the letter.

There are many many N52 engines that required more oil on this forum almost from the start. Mine stayed completely full until I hit the 1 year mark just recently. I checked the level just the other day and for the first time it was down one notch from the top. So basically, in predictable fashion, the oil is losing its effectiveness at the 1 year mark. Time for a change.

My point though is that many have had to add oil which could be a byproduct of nonstandard break-in and oil change tactics. I followed the manual and have not had to add any.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

I always wanted to question you guys doing ED how can you drive on the autobahn with Nissan Micras passing you at 100 mph? What's the point then, if you cannot enjoy your BMW?

I think you should do ED, only after you break-in the car, of course if you are following the manual...

Quick Reply: Break-in Poll