E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BREAK IN PERIOD 2006 550I MANUAL ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550I Manual White/Black 6Speed Sport

I took delivery of my 2006 550I 6Speed on November 14th, 2005. I have read on many past posts that there is a recommended break-in period for vehicles. What is the recommended break in period for BMW? Please define what is meant by "Break-In Period".

Are there any disadvantages for cars that are/were not broken in properly?

Thanks....

J
Old 12-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i

I just finished my break in period. It's in your manual for reference, but do not exceed 4500 rpm or 100mph, and try to keep your speed variable (meaning don't coast on the highway too much). These rules apply only to the vehicle's first 1200 miles.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550I Manual White/Black 6Speed Sport

Looks like I didn't follow the directions, AGAIN! I previously owned a 2004 545I and once I took delivery of the 2006 550I I couldn't stop the urge to see what she could do. IMHO, the performance is night and day. The 550I has much smoother acceleration, more even power bands, and quicker 60-150 mph (shut off). The last piece, I can speak from experience. I am waiting to review some of the test results on the 550 once available.

Back to topic, what DAMAGE may I have caused?

Thanks,

J
Old 12-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 Alpine White 550i

I wouldn't feel too bad. I went about 90-95 mph and definitely red-lined the vehicle a few times. I would suggest an oil change after 1200 miles. Member Tachyon first got me interested in doing this oil change and later someone else confirmed that it helps rid your engine of the bits of metal your engine created, especially when you redline.

Maybe someone else has more experience with BMW break-in habits, but my car is doing just fine.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

You did no damage. Dont worry. Those are all suggested / recommeded so people wont just go BASHing on them from day 1 and cause more warranty issues than BMW needs to pay.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='210389' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:31 PM
You did no damage. Dont worry. Those are all suggested / recommeded so people wont just go BASHing on them from day 1 and cause more warranty issues than BMW needs to pay.

Exactly
Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

You didn't do any damage. According to BMW when I picked up my car during European Delivery, if I go above 100 mph on the Autobahn then I should just try to vary my RPMs as I slow down.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Justgold18' post='210268' date='Dec 12 2005, 10:44 AM
I previously owned a 2004 545I
Do you notice any difference in the manual shift mechanism between the 545 and the 550?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden' post='210395

Exactly
[/quote]
Hummm! It seems to me if BMW is trying to protect itself from warranty claims, then its break-in procedures probably are reasonable/realistic. And, if BMW is trying to ensure excellent car longeviety for current and future owners, then its break-in procedures probably are reasonable/realistic. I would think that BMW is trying to do one or both. If so, then its break-in procedures probably are reasonable/realistic. That is, in either case, I don't think that BMW would have much incentive to give unreasonably conservative break-in procedures, albiet they might be a tad conservative. Finally, even if BMW is trying to protect itself from warranty claims by giving somewhat conservative break-in instructions, then doing so still may be in the best interests of the owner since they would tend to minimize the probabilities of him or her having to deal with service (potentially lengthy), service problems, potential damage to the car when being serviced, not-so-good loaners, etc., etc.

My approach was to stick with the BMW break-in recommendations pretty closely, but to take more and more liberties the closer and closer I got to 1,200 miles. Some say "break a car in slowly and you get a slow car." Regardless, Just..., I doubt you have done any damage, but it does happen.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210527
Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='210389' date='Dec 12 2005, 09:31 PM

Exactly
Hummm! It seems to me if BMW is trying to protect itself from warranty claims, then its break-in procedures probably are reasonable/realistic. And, if BMW is trying to ensure excellent car longeviety for current and future owners, then its break-in procedures probably are reasonable/realistic. I would think that BMW is trying to do one or both. If so, then its break-in procedures probably are reasonable/realistic. That is, in either case, I don't think that BMW would have much incentive to give unreasonably conservative break-in procedures, albiet they might be a tad conservative. Finally, even if BMW is trying to protect itself from warranty claims by giving somewhat conservative break-in instructions, then doing so still may be in the best interests of the owner since they would tend to minimize the probabilities of him or her having to deal with service (potentially lengthy), service problems, potential damage to the car when being serviced, not-so-good loaners, etc., etc.

My approach was to stick with the BMW break-in recommendations pretty closely, but to take more and more liberties the closer and closer I got to 1,200 miles. Some say "break a car in slowly and you get a slow car." Regardless, Just..., I doubt you have done any damage, but it does happen.
[/quote]

Oh of course. I agree and say stick with the break in procedures... but in this case its too late and whats done is done and with all that said did he break his engine or damage it? Probably and most likely not. Once twice or a few times up to redline under 1200 is perfectly fine when the engine is warmed up. You'll probably do more damage to a fully broken in 40,000 mile engine when redlined when its cold then he did during break in so I wouldnt worry about it.

Ya so stick with the break in procedures but if you didnt no big deal.

I say stretch its legs a little let it taste redline and know whats to come at around 800 miles-ish is good. Once or twice.

Quick Reply: BREAK IN PERIOD 2006 550I MANUAL ???