E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Break Pedal before turnning key

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

I don't remember my break pedal being so high and stiff before I start my car, is it always like that? When I turn the key with my foot on the break it goes right down, but I just don't remember it doing that before I always THOUGHT that the break pedal felt normal before I turned the key, is it supposed to be all the way to the top and hard (this sounds soooo wrong but I hope u guys know what I mean heheheh)
Old 08-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think I know what you mean. I notice the same thing every once in a while but usually after the car has been sitting longer than a day. I think it's related to brake pressure gradually dropping off as the car sits.

At this point, I haven't seen or felt any problems with the braking during driving so for now, I'm thinking it's nothing to worry about. If your car is doing it after only sitting for a short time, then I'd say you should have the system checked for leaks, etc.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

If you push on the brake pedal after you turn off the car you will build up brake pressure and then your brakes will do exactly what you are describing when you get back in your car and start it up again. At least that's kind of what I've noticed.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

This is normal for almost any modern car with power brakes.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='319301' date='Aug 5 2006, 07:12 PM
If you push on the brake pedal after you turn off the car you will build up brake pressure and then your brakes will do exactly what you are describing when you get back in your car and start it up again. At least that's kind of what I've noticed.
I sustain that. Also if you parked on a sensible uphill or downhill area when you braked slightly harder before you stop it does that again when you start it up, because that's when the brake pump starts to work pumping the brake fluid. You can do a test by pumping the brake pedal with engine off and feel the same thing as the pedal gets harder and harder to push.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Originally Posted by stream' post='319369' date='Aug 5 2006, 07:30 PM
Wow, you've added another post to your count...
Thanks everyone... I'm usualy not on any hills, it pretty much happens after a not driving the car for a while like over night.. and it happens in my driveway and at work in the indoor parking lot... but funny after I posted this it has been normal not hard and where it use to be, not high...

Thanks again everyone... love this forum
Old 08-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

I get that problem too, so this is like a E60 thing. It will build up pressure without me touching the brake after shutting off the car. But it usually happens after 1 night sitting there.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:12 AM
GPS
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='319283' date='Aug 5 2006, 05:07 PM
I think I know what you mean. I notice the same thing every once in a while but usually after the car has been sitting longer than a day. I think it's related to brake pressure gradually dropping off as the car sits.

At this point, I haven't seen or felt any problems with the braking during driving so for now, I'm thinking it's nothing to worry about. If your car is doing it after only sitting for a short time, then I'd say you should have the system checked for leaks, etc.
exactly the same experience here. Nothing to worry about.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530Xi w/ M-Sport Package 07 335i Cabriolet w/ M-Sport body kit

First all don't BREAK your pedal, brake pedal sounds better.

Isn't that becsause the residual vauum in the brake booster leaks away over time and you essentially have non-power brakes after the car's been sitting for awhile, until the engine is running and regenerates the vacuum? I notice that in all the power brake equiped cars, not just the e90. May be in the E90 the effect is more noticeable. May be you are not used to put your foot on the brake pedal before the engine starts until the E90 came alone?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Blah' post='319508' date='Aug 6 2006, 11:43 AM
Isn't that becsause the residual vauum in the brake booster leaks away over time and you essentially have non-power brakes after the car's been sitting for awhile, until the engine is running and regenerates the vacuum? I notice that in all the power brake equiped cars, not just the e90. May be in the E90 the effect is more noticeable. May be you are not used to put your foot on the brake pedal before the engine starts until the E90 came alone?
I think you're absolutely right.

(Except for the part about the E90... )

Quick Reply: Break Pedal before turnning key