E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys. I am a new member, so let me say hello to all of you and let me introduce a bit.
First of all, I was reading this board for a while, and I can say it is one of the best looking, helpful and honest community I have ever seen. Good work!

Now. I am located in the Center Europe. I am driving 2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 which sux a lot. I hate it every morning in the garage, and I am selling it now after only a few months of ownership. I wanted something sporty etc., but I learn, that this is a bad idea and compromises are not good for me on this point. I decided that I need at least two cars - one daily driver (town, motorways) and one sporty roadster (b-roads, track). Obviously, now I am looking for a new ride (daily one). I had a lot of issues with the Ford, so I want something newer and the warranty should be great. I have around 20 000 EUR budget without the VAX.

My requirements are: limousine (not touring), petrol, automatic gearbox, navi, under 100 000 km on the clock, good condition...

I always loved E60 looks. Personally, I think it's the best looking car ever done by BMW. And I found, that it can be possible with my budget for a used one. 2005+ 530iA model with 260/HP 300 Nm. Polished Jet Black m-tech with light interior, shadow line and tinted windows makes me aroused. Really great combo. But it is not sure, that I can find a car with a warranty - BMW does "Euro+ warranty", which is basicaly 2-year warranty like you get on a new car, but those cars a much more expensive. A friend of mine told me, that really great used cars are impossible to get, because all of them are sold to "people around the source" internally. This is the BMW story. Then, I have a really great deal from one of my friends. He could get a brand new Honda Accord 2.4 v-tec executive for 19 000 EUR (new standard list price is 32 000 EUR). So I have two choices (at least). 2009 car with 0 km on the clock, 3-years international warranty, without any stress what happened with the car in the past, but Honda - OR - 2005 car with about 80 000km on the clock, no warranty (or maybe 2-years), second owner, but BMW.

I have driven the Honda already, and it is a decent car. It looks modern both inside and outside, which is no surprise when it was introduced in 2008 unlike the 2003 BMW (which looks modern still to). Only problem I had with the Honda was, that here in Europe, the 2,4 liter 4-cylinder engine is the top engine we can have. It has 200 HP/220 Nm. I think that in USA is available V6 version know as Acura TSX. But not here. I had 3,0 V6 in my Ford now (220 HP/260 Nm), the car is shit, but the straight jump from my V6 to R4 was bad, and I thought I am driving a chainsaw. I haven't drove E60 yet, one friend has 530dA and this saturday he is going to lend me his car for a test drive, but sadly I cannot find anybody with the 530iA. No dealer has it stock, no friends.

I want to have the car for a two years, and I think I will not do more than 50 000 km during this time. I want something enjoyable, I love cars so so much. I am in a car everyday, I want to feel great, and I want to look good in it also. The image is important, no doubt. I did some business, and want to look trustful.

Maybe it looks silly at the first look, to ask about a Honda on a BMW forum. But I found, that Accord is a quite common word on this board, and also, one guy told me, that after three BMW he want to buy Japanese Mazda, because BMW's are now overpriced and not that good like they were in the past.

I have to try 530iA of course. And I know that the E60 is higher category that Accord, so it is not fair to put them head to head. Because of that, it is not BMW vs. Honda, but used BMW vs. new Honda. My last car, Ford, was a bad choice. Because of that, I am asking you, guys, for your opinions and experience. If you were in my situation, what should you do? Any relevant help/opinions are more than welcome.

Thank you for reading.
Attached Thumbnails Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?-bmwvshonda.jpg  
Old 09-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

That EURO spec Accord looks a lot better than the US version. If the price is not an issue and the e60 has good enough warranty, I will suggest you go with the e60 as it is definitely much fun to drive than the Accord. Otherwise, I will go with the Accord for warranty issue.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Hey, you know, if you really have to ask this question, buy the Honda.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Buy the Accord for the ownership experience.
Buy the E60 for the driving experience.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by whizzz' post='1016161' date='Sep 24 2009, 03:08 PM
I think that in USA is available V6 version know as Acura TSX.
That's right - the European Honda Accord is indeed sold in the US as the Acura TSX (and it is actually available as a four-cylinder here too). The US market Honda Accord isn't the same car as the Accord sold in Europe.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

eur13,000 off on a new car is hard to resist, and the TSX is a pretty nice looking car.
if you can get the BMW WITH a warranty, then go for it. a car with 80K km is gonna have its normal share of upkeep (or problems) which for a BMW can get pricey (just look at the other thread with the guy with the blown up engine).

my opinion, get the honda and start saving up your money for the F10.
good luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If you are asking the question here on this forum then you have already made your decision and are asking us to justify it. I have had Accords before (US spec, not Europe) and they are great cars. Just for me (and I'm guessing most members here) there's just something about the E60. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I would find a good used E60. Take your time. Honda is a Honda...

"What do you drive?" "I drive a Honda" vs "I drive a BMW"
Old 09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

bmw.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

you only live once, buy the BMW

Quick Reply: Brand new Honda Accord or used BMW E60?