E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brakes squeak - having sensors removed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 100% convinced that the brake sensors indeed cause the brakes to squeak. Only my front left and back right rear brakes make noise, which happens to be where the brake sensors are located.

I am going in tomorrow and am going to have them remove the sensors. If asked, "well how will you be able to tell if you need new brakes"....to which I will answer, JUST LIKE I DID ON ALLLL MY OTHER CARS, WHEN THEY START TO SQUEAK!!!! " Plus, my rear brake sensor goes from 15,000 miles to service to 1,000 miles till service in a matter of 1 month whenever they reset the sensor....
Old 04-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by mag75' post='847028' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:55 PM
I am 100% convinced that the brake sensors indeed cause the brakes to squeak. Only my front left and back right rear brakes make noise, which happens to be where the brake sensors are located.

I am going in tomorrow and am going to have them remove the sensors. If asked, "well how will you be able to tell if you need new brakes"....to which I will answer, JUST LIKE I DID ON ALLLL MY OTHER CARS, WHEN THEY START TO SQUEAK!!!! " Plus, my rear brake sensor goes from 15,000 miles to service to 1,000 miles till service in a matter of 1 month whenever they reset the sensor....

Be sure to let us know how that works out. I suspect if you remove the sensors completely, the car will know they are no longer attached, and get pissed.

Might be better off to leave them plugged in, but remove them from their mounting location and zip-tie them to some part of the chassis...
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='847031' date='Apr 14 2009, 12:58 PM
Be sure to let us know how that works out. I suspect if you remove the sensors completely, the car will know they are no longer attached, and get pissed.

Might be better off to leave them plugged in, but remove them from their mounting location and zip-tie them to some part of the chassis...
Exactly. Either way I am going to have them completely removed from the brake pad. Worthless part.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i SMG

Interesting, I have the same squeak from my front brakes.
Keep us informed of your results.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Contributors

I've had BMWs with in-pad brake sensors since 1986 and never had them be the cause brake noise. Me thinks you're chasing up (or down) the wrong tree for the source of the noise. Suggest you have a tech ensure that the pads are fitted properly, that the correct high temp lube is applied where it should be, and that anti-squeal springs etc are still in place.

As for removing the sensors, newer BMWs are not happy when sensors are removed. In the old days, when it was part of a simple continuity circuit, some folks just shorted out the leads to trick the monitor into thinking all was OK. Don't think that would work today - maybe BMW has installed a webcam under there to keep an eye on things

That said, if you're using aftermarket pads or discs ... some are noisier than others.

Good luck with your
Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D M Sport Auto. Carbon Black with Beige Leather

This is a common known problem. Have you tried the obvious and replaced the sensors?? I had the same issue when I bought my car. I removed the sensors, filed them down a bit a slotted them back in. After a while the noise re-appeared a which point the sensors were changed and the horrible squealing noise disappeared forever.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530DMSport' post='847199' date='Apr 14 2009, 03:26 PM
This is a common known problem. Have you tried the obvious and replaced the sensors?? I had the same issue when I bought my car. I removed the sensors, filed them down a bit a slotted them back in. After a while the noise re-appeared a which point the sensors were changed and the horrible squealing noise disappeared forever.
BMW has replaced the sensors before but again, the noise comes back.

I will keep you all posted with what they say tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

Mine squeak too. Very annoying...
Old 04-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Keep us updated!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2006

is the sensor on the front right or left?

Quick Reply: Brakes squeak - having sensors removed