E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

I've been getting this annoying low in pitch creaking/croaking noise from the breaks every time I'm coming to a stop and coming out of one. I took it to the dealer several times and they keep telling me that its normal. They lube it up and its fine for maybe a couple days at most. I'm also getting the high pitch squeal like the brakes need to be changed but the dealer tells me I got more to go. This has been going on for months but I've been driving in a way to minimize noise. Do I really have to with a BMW?

will upgrading the braking system fix the problem?

The creaking makes the brakes sound really cheap. :/
Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

dont bet on it. i recently upgraded to R1 concepts rotors and Hawk HPS pads and one side squeaks like a motherfucker :/

maybe its just the luck of the draw, but im embarrassed everytime i come to a complete stop...id would suggest that you ask for a new OEM set-up if you are still under warranty. my OEM pads and rotors were quiet as a church mouse before my sensor went bad to alert me that it was time for a change. i may have just gone the wrong route
Old 07-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i

my brakes do the same exact thing. i wouldn't be surprised if it was normal; my car has some other "no cost options" that i could do without.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Members

I was going to purchase new Rotors, and a package that included pads as well from Acute Performance, are there any tips that anyone can provide that will reduce the squeaking sound. I brought it to BMW Dealership as well, and they have told me everything is okay.

For a BMW, even a KIA you shouldn't have to put up with embarrassing squeaking when you pull off or get in your car, no?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525i M Sport Carbon Black Cream Leather Interior

Original BMW brake pads have copper in them which assists with the braking effort, when the copper is cold and the pad is put under pressure, ie. braking, they squeek. Absolutly nothing that can be done about the originals BMW pads, I've never had any other brand one the car so I can't comment on any other type.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

I get that too its annoying .. I actually bought new Centric rotors and hawk performance brake pads last year thought that would fix the noise lol I was wrong it went away for the first few months if even that and the squeak came back .. wastted $400 on rotors and $200 on brake pads
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Must be the luck of the draw because my dealer replaced all four rotors and pads, two years ago, and it has been very silent since then. Ask them to put more anti-squeak paste.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I would say that some squeaking is normal. If it was humid that evening, a flash coating of rush happens on the rotors, or if I washed the wheels they will squeak the first brake application or two. After that no I don't normally have brake noise.

A lot has to do with placement of the lubricate on the pads. It needs to be at every point on the back of the pad that contacts metal. And yes it is possible for the power washer to wash this lubricant off.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

Use this link to learn how to properly bed in your brakes:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

I have the same nasty squeal on my car too. After bedding, it completely disappears. Not to mention, it is just fun as hell to do. Another method is to slather that pink anti-squeal goo all over the back of the pads when replacing. I did that to the wifes 3 series and have had no more issues.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | STEPTRONIC | Xenon

I get the same noise and its embarrassing every time i pull up to show my ID. I cant wait until they need replacing.

Quick Reply: Brakes