E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

brake squeal TSB/SIB

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 E90 M3

I searched around and pulled up Service bulletin SIB340206 dated March 2006 about the brake squeal. Stated in this document was that the dealer was to install a new brake pad sensor in case of customer complaint of brake squeal. So, I bring this to my dealer along with my other problems (sunroof, headlight aim) and my service adviser tells me theres a new SIB that states that the customer needs to pay for this to be done. It sounds like a load of sh*t to me - does anybody know the truth?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alpineweiss' post='378642' date='Jan 15 2007, 09:47 PM
I searched around and pulled up Service bulletin SIB340206 dated March 2006 about the brake squeal. Stated in this document was that the dealer was to install a new brake pad sensor in case of customer complaint of brake squeal. So, I bring this to my dealer along with my other problems (sunroof, headlight aim) and my service adviser tells me theres a new SIB that states that the customer needs to pay for this to be done. It sounds like a load of sh*t to me - does anybody know the truth?

Thanks in advance!
Mine were replaced under warranty late last year... Have you seen the new SIB? (Or at least get the reference number...)
Old 01-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i stock. 2000 Jeep Wrangler non-stock =)

Had mine done last saturday. Dropped it off at 10:30, got it back by 3pm. Under warranty at BMW of San Diego, CA
Old 01-15-2007, 03:26 PM
JPJ
Contributors

How bad is the brake squeal so that you are getting it fixed?

Mine is not very loud and somewhat random. Asked the dealer to look at it while the car was in, but they said they didn't hear it. I mainly wanted to make sure it was documented in case it becomes a bigger problem later.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by alpineweiss' post='378642' date='Jan 15 2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks in advance!
I had the same brake squeal and my SA told me it's the problem with brake pad sensor. When I went back to pickup the car, he told me replace brake pad sensor didn't fix the problem, so he replaced the brake pad and brake disk, too. All cover by warranty. FREE

I live in United States. Don't know the same warranty apply in Hong Kong.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by alpineweiss' post='378642' date='Jan 15 2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks in advance!
Your hunch is correct bullsh*t. BMW uses the same bulletin to make any updates and you have the latest. Ask dealer to PRODUCE this new piece of info. Unless you are not covered by warranty this is legitimate customer complaint and there IS a remedy contained in the SIB - end of storey.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='378714' date='Jan 15 2007, 07:39 PM
I had the same brake squeal and my SA told me it's the problem with brake pad sensor. When I went back to pickup the car, he told me replace brake pad sensor didn't fix the problem, so he replaced the brake pad and brake disk, too. All cover by warranty. FREE

I live in United States. Don't know the same warranty apply in Hong Kong.
I'm in Toronto so I would expect any SIBs to be similar between the states and in canada... :thumbsdown: My service advisor said I'd have to pay for labour costs simply for them to look at it because it's a "wear and tear" part. Jesus. I'm not sure about the States but brakes are not covered here, but still this is unreasonable IMO. I'm not about to pay to fix a known defective part.

Any experiences from anyone in Canada?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Is this the same Canadian dealer that charges $15 for loaner cars?
Old 01-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

My SA told me same thing - that it was wear and tear and that I would have to pay. I complained that 25,000 km wasn't nearly enough to require new pads and SA said "they wear quite quickly". When they took a look though, there was 9mm left on the pads so noise was due to a defect and they were replaced (with a new kind of pad apparently) under warranty. It was a nice surprise.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by alpineweiss' post='378808' date='Jan 15 2007, 08:34 PM
I'm in Toronto so I would expect any SIBs to be similar between the states and in canada... :thumbsdown: My service advisor said I'd have to pay for labour costs simply for them to look at it because it's a "wear and tear" part. Jesus. I'm not sure about the States but brakes are not covered here, but still this is unreasonable IMO. I'm not about to pay to fix a known defective part.

Any experiences from anyone in Canada?
"wear and tear"?? There is no Free Maintenance for 4 yrs/50000 miles service in Canada?

Quick Reply: brake squeal TSB/SIB