E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 AM
GsQ
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

I have read a couple of other posts on this however the other post were limited to the rusting of the clip on the pad itself (that annoying clip that rusts all the time). However, aside from the clip that is rust a bit on my car the drum apart from the rotor is rusting as well. How should i go about fixing this. Also anyone have any recommendations for a paint product to paint the caliper a few reputable brands would be nice. Thanks

Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Get a paint stripping grinding attachment for a drill and just grind off all that surface rust, then hit the hub with either silver or black Duplicolor brake caliper paint to give it a nice finish. Then paint the calipers any color you want, I would go with black or silver. I had red on my 545i and looking back now...it kinda seems tacky cause the brakes where pretty small lol. Here is a link:

http://duplicolor.com/products/caliperPaint/

You can buy this paint at any auto parts store like Advance Auto, Autozone, PepBoys...etc.

EDIT: Also, it says that you should use the aerosol spray paint only when the calipers are off the car, but if you tape up the surrounding area, you can use the spray paint while the calipers are still mounted.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

Originally Posted by Krozi
Get a paint stripping grinding attachment for a drill and just grind off all that surface rust, then hit the hub with either silver or black Duplicolor brake caliper paint to give it a nice finish. Then paint the calipers any color you want, I would go with black or silver. I had red on my 545i and looking back now...it kinda seems tacky cause the brakes where pretty small lol. Here is a link:

http://duplicolor.com/products/caliperPaint/

You can buy this paint at any auto parts store like Advance Auto, Autozone, PepBoys...etc.

EDIT: Also, it says that you should use the aerosol spray paint only when the calipers are off the car, but if you tape up the surrounding area, you can use the spray paint while the calipers are still mounted.
thanks for the insight. I am definitely not pulling it off the car going to be doing it while it is still mounted. Im gonna have to go get the necessary tools for this job and try it soon. As far as the color i was definitely going to go with back paint because i just like the way it looks im not into the red cap paint unless there is matching red accents somewhere else on the car. thanks again!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by GsQ
thanks for the insight. I am definitely not pulling it off the car going to be doing it while it is still mounted. Im gonna have to go get the necessary tools for this job and try it soon. As far as the color i was definitely going to go with back paint because i just like the way it looks im not into the red cap paint unless there is matching red accents somewhere else on the car. thanks again!
No problem

Post pics when it's all done
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 PM
GsQ
Contributors

i need someone with tools and a garage!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by GsQ
I have read a couple of other posts on this however the other post were limited to the rusting of the clip on the pad itself (that annoying clip that rusts all the time). However, aside from the clip that is rust a bit on my car the drum apart from the rotor is rusting as well. How should i go about fixing this. Also anyone have any recommendations for a paint product to paint the caliper a few reputable brands would be nice. Thanks

On my 2010 535i the calipers were rusting so the dealer JMK BMW painted them silver.
On my 2001 330ci the calipers started rusting before the car was a year old so I painted
them with silver rustoleum paint, it still looked great when I sold the car 3 years later. Just remember if you paint them silver, silver paint in itself is a rust preventive. No need to spend a lot of money for paint that will do the same job. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Remember even in spray form it takes 24 hours to cure. A heat gun and some lights might speed up the process. GSq I can help ya but we'd have to take the rotors and calipers off its easier
Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 AM
GsQ
Contributors

that would be awesome ENJOY!!!! where in socal are you? quick question why are there all these DIY threads with guys just painting them on the car
Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

Im in Whittier. Its in the DIY section. The reason why I take them off is because I like getting the carrier part some paint and the inside off the caliper. You wanna do it on the car its simple too