E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake recall letters...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

Just wanted to know if anyone received their brake recall letters yet. I called BMW NA in mid October and they said they would be sending out the first batch of letters at the end of the month of October. Haven't received mine yet.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Members

+1. Haven't received mine yet either. BMW NA also told me that the first batch was going out at the end of October. Not exactly sure why they don't have the ability to send them all at once. Not enough people at BMW NA to lick all of the envelopes?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

I haven't received anything from BMWNA yet.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

I dropped my car off at the dealer the other day for other issues. I asked my SA about the recall, and he said nothing has been released yet
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

Are they going to wait until someone gets injured or dies from these defective brakes? Someone chime in if you have received your letter. Just want to make sure they are not lying to us.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545/SMG Sport Package HUD Logic 7 Bluetooth NAV Cold Weather Package

What is the nature of this recall?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 AM
Members

is this the brake booster recall? if so you can just go in and request to get it done. I dont think you need a recall letter to get it done. I have an appointment next week to get it done and i never got a letter.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by j0nblayz
is this the brake booster recall? if so you can just go in and request to get it done. I dont think you need a recall letter to get it done. I have an appointment next week to get it done and i never got a letter.
My SA said it is the vacuum pump that is the problem. He said it can leak oil past there and get in your brake booster, which then you loose your power assist brakes and only have mech. brakes. He said the brakes will still work, but the pedal will be really hard to push.
He was saying the media got a hold of this before BMW was ready to announce, and they are trying to stockpile parts before they start the recall. Not sure how true any of that is, but that is what my SA told me on Nov 8th.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by j0nblayz
As post above indicates, the issue is related to the vacuum pump.

To clarify, according to BMW NA, you don't need a recall letter to have vacuum pump parts replaced, but you'll have to pay for this out-of-pocket unless you have a letter from BMW NA.

The letter that BMW NA is sending out includes instructions on how to apply for a "rebate" if you've paid out-of-pocket for vacuum pump repairs.

Other posters on this topic have indicated that their SAs have made individual decisions to cover the repairs under warranty, but there's no guarantee that your SA will do so.

This whole process is being managed incredibly inefficiently: why not send an email instead of a snail mail letter (or maybe even send both)? Why not just let service centers look up whether your call is covered by the recall, based on your VIN?

Post above indicating that BMW NA is building up an inventory of parts would explain why this has been so inefficiently handled.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Members

thats actually one of the things getting fixed on my car next week during the brake booster recall. My vacuum pump is leaking and the dealers tells me its not covered even though my car is cpo'd. So im gonna have to pay out of my own pocket. How do i go about making sure i get a letter from bmw? since i bought my car second hand, bmw wouldn't have my information, also is this recall valid in canada also? My SA told me before that some recalls in US does not apply in canada.

Quick Reply: Brake recall letters...