E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake recall done, stand-up dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Well, I finally took my '04 545i in for the brake recall. Quick little history: Purchased car 6 mos. ago and got killer dealer on well equiped car. Seller replaced failed brake booster to make car ready for sale (seller unaware of recall). Anyway, BMW of Austin put me in a 2010 335i and replaced the booster vacuum line, booster, and master cylinder. My wife picked up the car and when I got home I noticed a "stain" on the left headlight. Apparantely, the dealer spilled brake fluid on the headlight and it etched the plastic. Now, with a car of this age, the headlights were not perfect. I had polished them myself a few weeks earlier.

Called the dealer and told them of the problem and even said I was not interested in a new headlight because it would not match the otherside. I told them I wanted the headlight polished. The dealer jumped on the suggestion and offered to polish them both. Put me another loaner and did a excellent job of polishing the headlights, they look brand new...way better job than I did.

So, the point of the story is that all dealers are not bad...I got excellent service, dealer owned up to their problems and treated me as a valuable customer even though I rarely visit the service department (I buy lots of parts though). They also did not try to hard sell me on other repairs. It seems amazing to me that I just got my primary braking system renewed at not cost on a car with 90k + miles and 6 years old!

Oh, BTW, the new brake line is very flexible as the old one was very stiff. Funny what age and heat does to plastic. I also made sure I resealed my vacuum pump prior to taking the car in so they wouldn't say it needed to be replaced at my cost. Now I have a factory correct crimped on hose clamp on the vacuum line.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidF
Well, I finally took my '04 545i in for the brake recall. Quick little history: Purchased car 6 mos. ago and got killer dealer on well equiped car. Seller replaced failed brake booster to make car ready for sale (seller unaware of recall). Anyway, BMW of Austin put me in a 2010 335i and replaced the booster vacuum line, booster, and master cylinder. My wife picked up the car and when I got home I noticed a "stain" on the left headlight. Apparantely, the dealer spilled brake fluid on the headlight and it etched the plastic. Now, with a car of this age, the headlights were not perfect. I had polished them myself a few weeks earlier.
Called the dealer and told them of the problem and even said I was not interested in a new headlight because it would not match the otherside. I told them I wanted the headlight polished. The dealer jumped on the suggestion and offered to polish them both. Put me another loaner and did a excellent job of polishing the headlights, they look brand new...way better job than I did.
So, the point of the story is that all dealers are not bad...I got excellent service, dealer owned up to their problems and treated me as a valuable customer even though I rarely visit the service department (I buy lots of parts though). They also did not try to hard sell me on other repairs. It seems amazing to me that I just got my primary braking system renewed at not cost on a car with 90k + miles and 6 years old!
Oh, BTW, the new brake line is very flexible as the old one was very stiff. Funny what age and heat does to plastic. I also made sure I resealed my vacuum pump prior to taking the car in so they wouldn't say it needed to be replaced at my cost. Now I have a factory correct crimped on hose clamp on the vacuum line.
Thanks for sharing your positive experience about a BMW dealer.

I think it's OK to tell the dealer's name in the feedback topic section ...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Members

Ive been to the same dealer for a few items, and I have to agree that the experiences there were better than expected.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Members

Wow. It's good to hear there are cool dealers. The one in my city gets mixed reviews. If I may ask, what was their assessment on our harmonic vibration?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

Tire balance issue. Wife hit pothole and blew out two tires, so will report after tires replaced and wheels straightened
Old 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Members

Great. Thank you. I am truly looking forward to hearing your report. I am off this weekend and I plan to take mine in for the rebalance and wheel check.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 AM
New Members

There is a brake recalls on the E60?
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Brake recall only for V8 models (i.e. valvetronic engines that have a vacuum pump), I think.