E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake pad screeching

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, Full M-Tech kit, CF Hamann front lip, M5 trunk lid, 20" iForged swift, LCI Tail Lights, Remus Quad Exhaust.

Hey wassup everyone, started about a day or two ago that my front passenger side brake started to screech, but only after driving about 5 or 10 mins or so. The iDrive reads that i still have about 5k mi left on them and I just went to the dealership for the first inspection about 3 weeks ago. Is this a sign of just wear and tear or is there something wrong with my particular brake pad. Or if you guys have any input on checking to see what the problem is or just solving it, just shout it out.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Originally Posted by BuDdyLe' post='664026' date='Sep 8 2008, 05:41 AM
Hey wassup everyone, started about a day or two ago that my front passenger side brake started to screech, but only after driving about 5 or 10 mins or so. The iDrive reads that i still have about 5k mi left on them and I just went to the dealership for the first inspection about 3 weeks ago. Is this a sign of just wear and tear or is there something wrong with my particular brake pad. Or if you guys have any input on checking to see what the problem is or just solving it, just shout it out.

Thanks in advanced.
There is a know problem with the brake squeal and a service notice was issued by BMW which i have attahced for your referance. I took my car to my dealer several times complaining about brake squeal, i got the usual response that brake pads are not a warrnnaty item. In the end another forum member directed me to the service bulliten which i took to my dealer, even though i had this notice they still said it was a non warranty item due to the amount of kms i had done, i stood my ground and after a bit of back and forth (heated arguing by me) they caved and replaced all of the pads and sensors.
I suggest you take this notice to your dealer and see if they will replace the pads/sensors under warranty although as you have a later model car this may not apply but it can't hurt to try.
Good luck!

index.pdf
Old 09-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

The dealer replaced my rotors (twice) and my pads (3 times) on both the front and rear and then added some sort of brake pad glue and the problem went away.

I was initially told that they couldn't replicate the problem so I brought it back after it got worse. They then claimed to fix it (3rd time) and it still squealed. The 4th time I brought it in and I picked a lane in the service entrance that was empty, so I drove through the entire service bay lightly pressing the brakes. hahahahaha.....it was enough to get the attention of EVERYONE at the dealership.

I'm about 1,000 miles after they fixed it (again) and everything appears to be fine for now.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by BuDdyLe' post='664026' date='Sep 7 2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks in advanced.
I had this happen a couple of weeks ago but I was away so only got it to the dealer this week. It was getting embarasing! Had 4k on front and 14k on rear pads showing. They replaced both front and rear pads and wear sensors after the tech heard more screatching coming from the rear of the car. My SA mentioned the redesigned parts from the SIB
Old 09-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i, Full M-Tech kit, CF Hamann front lip, M5 trunk lid, 20" iForged swift, LCI Tail Lights, Remus Quad Exhaust.

Crap, sounds like its a problem then...hoping it was just the pads wearing down. Hopefully it ain't too seroius, I guess ill have to call up the dealership and send my car in. Thanks for such the responses.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

5k miles is getting pretty thin, my first guess is that the 'wear indicators' are doing their job and creating the noise. They are supposed to do this with advance warning before any gouging starts on your rotors.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Yesterday when I brought in my 530xi for other service matters I mentioned to my service advisor a little about my brakes sometimes making noise and that my car has almost 30K miles and no previous brake work since delivery. Without hesitation he offered this, "there is a service bulletin out about redesigned brake pads and wear sensors to fix this problem" and said they will do this repair while my car was there. He then hand wrote "customer complains of brakes screeching" on the repair order and had me sign it.

In some cases dealers WANT to make repairs (when the dealer needs the warranty billing ) and other times they are not so forthcoming (they are too busy, a particular warrant repair camapign is closely scrutinized by BMWNA, etc. and they don't want to go out of their way to help, etc... ).

Got the car back yesterday evening and everything seems fine including the engine noise problem which was the original complaint I brought it in for. I swear this whole 4YR/50K Mile Warranty and Ultimate Maintenance on our cars (at least in the U.S.) is like a big drama with different endings for each owner
Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

I had the same problem with my brakes constant squeaking, even thought they still had thread left, I just ended swapping them out for Axxis Deluxe dustless brake pads, no more squeaking and hardly any dust.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Took my car into Crevier BMW this morning and just got back from the dealership. At first my service advisor (SONNY) said they were only gonna check the brakes, and new ones wouldnt be put on due to the fact they still had 4 or 5k miles left on them. That got me a little worried that it wasnt gonna get fixed, but after telling him the whole deal with the bullettin and how many others had the same problem, I was informed when my car was ready for pickup that they replaced all my break pads. and new wipers were also thrown in too lol. The weird thing is that my idrive still has about the same amount of miles showing on the pads as before, so don't know if it hasnt reset or maybe they just gave me another used pair that doesnt screech. Thanks for all the help guys and I hope anyone else doesn't run into this prolbem.