E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

brake pad/rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010
Default brake pad/rotor question

I have to replace front brake pads and rotors in ~4500 miles (per iDrive). I have read multiple threads on this subject and here is my question. Where there any objective tests comparing different brakes? All information I've seen read is subjective which is great but it would be good to know how the brake pads/rotors score when you brake from 70mph. We see this type of comparison done by audio reviewers but why not aftermarket brake kit suppliers?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Try seeing if tirerack.com has some brake pad reviews.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Members

I found this site with some info on the pads, but none of them are objective. BMW brake pad buying guide
Old 09-26-2014, 03:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I'm not sure I have ever been able to tell a difference. I decided some time ago to just follow the computer. Initially, I tried to manage it myself being that the computer says change but there is still plenty of pad left. The I would have to deal with the annoying pad MSG or resetting the light without a new sensor. It always seems that it's really wasn't much longer anyway. I normally buy my pads from advance and get a pretty good pad. I never buy the cheapest. I've had various pads in the range of 45 to 65 and honestly can't tell a difference. I don't care for the pads that throw off a lot of dust or tend to squeal. So finding the pad that works best would be nice if one can really tell a difference under normal driving conditions. Perhaps it's easier to tell if you are tracking your car, then I might be concerned a little more.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:31 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

I too had people talking about stopping distances etc. I couldn't stand the dusting on my car and was just about to do akebono. I just was bored, and called up my favorite guy that does centric rotors slotted. He had some premium rotors and he said they match great with the posi-quiet semi metallic pads. I've used these same pads on my Minivan (yeah performance uh huh) but on my subaru as well (it had bad braking from factory, so I did a bunch of upgrades all at once which was an improvement).

I can't say there is any difference at all on my daily drive. I don't track my BMW since.. well it's a 5 series and not meant to be a track car.. and I'm using it for a nice commute. Unless someone did go change the pads and did tests like tire rack back to back... I doubt anyone would notice XXX ft difference in stopping unless it was measured.

I'm happy with not having fugly dirty rims, and I'm tired of washing the car every week.. plus having to actually SCRUB the rims in addition.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Members

Is it ok to mix/match brake pads and rotors between front and rear? I assume not. Basically if I have to go with non OEM solution I would have to replace at the very least my rear pads (ideally rotors as well).
I don't like the brake dust on my car. I even considered buying pressure washer for this reason alone. Though reading the review on the pads (the one I linked above) it looks like most racing pads generate tons of dust (similar to OEM). So I wonder how aftermarket pads/rotors compare to OEM. I don't race my car and rarely rev my engine above 2000rpm. These V8's have tons of torque down low.
The brakes can save your life and help avoid an accident. Though most of us think about acceleration more than braking power.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:06 PM
New Members

My Ride: 04 545i6 Mystic Metallic Blue

If your looking to keep stopping power and get rid of dusting do yourself a favor and get akebono euro ceramic pads, you will be glad you did. Yes some ppl claim they lose braking but I do not experience that in fact I run akebonos on all three of my bmws and a porsche. My 545i I run slotted rotors and akebonos and yet to have to clean my wheels in over a year paired with great stopping power.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 528canyonrot
If your looking to keep stopping power and get rid of dusting do yourself a favor and get akebono euro ceramic pads, you will be glad you did. Yes some ppl claim they lose braking but I do not experience that in fact I run akebonos on all three of my bmws and a porsche. My 545i I run slotted rotors and akebonos and yet to have to clean my wheels in over a year paired with great stopping power.
Thank you for the advice. What kind of rotors do you use with them?