E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Noise - Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a three week old 530 with about 350 miles on it. Has anyone had the following kind of brake noise?: When the car is stopped and I gently let up on the brake pedal, either backing out of the garage or at a stop light or whatever, the brakes kind of "creak or groan" as the pads release their grip and rub over the discs. It's not a squeel but a groan noise. Any time the brakes grab at the end of a stop or when you gently let up on the pedal they groan over a short range of pedal pressure, then it stops. I can ride down a street and gently apply the brakes and hear nothing it's always right at the very end or right at the very beginning of the braking process. Seems to be louder when I first start driving the car and the rotors/pads are not heated up yet.

Has anyone else experienced this???????? Does it go away after the rotors and pads are worn in, remember I'm only at 350 miles.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i

I think it is normal and is because BMW's have high performance brakes. Both my 530i aswell as my X5 do it while baking out of the driveway for the most part but it sometimes happens during the final stop of the intersection as you described.

-e60lover
Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by tomv' post='329425' date='Aug 31 2006, 09:52 PM
I have a three week old 530 with about 350 miles on it. Has anyone had the following kind of brake noise?: When the car is stopped and I gently let up on the brake pedal, either backing out of the garage or at a stop light or whatever, the brakes kind of "creak or groan" as the pads release their grip and rub over the discs. It's not a squeel but a groan noise. Any time the brakes grab at the end of a stop or when you gently let up on the pedal they groan over a short range of pedal pressure, then it stops. I can ride down a street and gently apply the brakes and hear nothing it's always right at the very end or right at the very beginning of the braking process. Seems to be loader when I first start driving the car and the rotors/pads are not heated up yet.

Has anyone else experienced this???????? Does it go away after the rotors and pads are worn in, remember I'm only at 350 miles.

Likely due to the car sitting for a while. You may be able to help matters by gently applying the handbrake as you come to a stop a few times. That may work a bit of the rust or high spots off of the rotors if it's just minor stuff.

Mine sat for nearly two weeks due to some business travel recently. I am getting a slight squeaking only when backing up (weird). I imagine it will work itself out - it has before.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Members

Thanks for your help. I tried pulling up the hand brake while coming to a stop but that didn't do much. The "creaking" as described in my first post above just won't seem to go away but it is quieter as the brakes heat up, weird. Maybe it's a new car thing, again, I've only had it for three weeks and my mileage is around 380, but I drive it everyday, just not that much. Hopefully over time it will go away, if not maybe it's time to take it in to the dealer.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

It's normal. Every BMW I've owned and been in has done this. My 530i has almost 30K miles on it and it still does it.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

Brakes? If you don't use them, they won't make noises. Downshift.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Hatchman50' post='329709' date='Sep 1 2006, 09:46 PM
Brakes? If you don't use them, they won't make noises. Downshift.

Braking is for MB drivers, isn't it?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

I had that problem..took it in and they replaced my brake sensors, there was a SIB on it which was released in jan 06....but I believe since your car is newer, it has the correct brake sensors..have you tried bedding the brakes?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

Originally Posted by ImSort0fABigDeal' post='329727' date='Sep 1 2006, 04:13 PM
I had that problem..took it in and they replaced my brake sensors, there was a SIB on it which was released in jan 06....but I believe since your car is newer, it has the correct brake sensors..have you tried bedding the brakes?
Excellent suggestion, can you explain the bedding process?
Old 09-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImSort0fABigDeal' post='329727' date='Sep 1 2006, 01:13 PM
Was yours the groaning that tomv is talking about, or was yours the high pitched screeching noise? Cause there are two different noises that BMW brakes make and both of them are pretty common/normal.

Quick Reply: Brake Noise - Help