E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Issue - Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From outside the car as it goes by at a slow speed, you can hear a rubbing sound that sounds like a warped rotor tapping against the brake pad as the wheel turns. It's not a squeak - it just sounds like a slight rub of pad against rotor. Also, it's not constant. It sounds like it rubs in one particular spot, so there is a pulsing effect as the wheel turns (rub-rub-rub-rub-etc.)

The strange thing is that you cannot hear it at all from inside the car and you cannot feel anything but a nice solid brake feel. If it was actually a warped rotor, wouldn't it be felt as you brake?

I had the car in service for something unrelated and asked them to look at it. Of course, when I picked up my car, all service people had left and the note said they were not able to recreate it. I think my SA forgot to put that you can only hear it from outside the car!

Now, I'm trying to get some info so I'm ready when I go back in - thanks for any help.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Members

Anyone else?
Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freed0m has the same symptom.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i have the same problem... the thing is that you only hear it when driving very slowly.. its like the braking squek but on every turn, and your not breaking..
im not sure if it continues once the brakes are hot but i always notice it when i start the car and reverse or start driving slowly..
and i cant feel anything wrong..no vibration.. just the sound ill check if the sound continues once the brakes worm up, tomorow.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='342688' date='Oct 7 2006, 09:24 PM
i have the same problem... the thing is that you only hear it when driving very slowly.. its like the braking squek but on every turn, and your not breaking..
im not sure if it continues once the brakes are hot but i always notice it when i start the car and reverse or start driving slowly..
and i cant feel anything wrong..no vibration.. just the sound ill check if the sound continues once the brakes worm up, tomorow.
Thanks Madoon. I'm pretty sure it will still be there. My wife first noticed it after I came home at the end of a day and I had been driving for a while. The brakes weren't real hot - they would have been heated to normal. I wasn't hot-shoeing it that day!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='342686' date='Oct 7 2006, 08:43 PM
freed0m has the same symptom.
Thanks my530i.

Tried to find a post from "freed0m" and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm just missing it. I'll PM and if there is useful info one of us will post.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:11 PM
zen
Members

Make sure the lugs are tightened to the proper torque and that one of them is not tighted too much. sometimes the rotor gets warped by uneven torque.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Bingo! I think zen is right on... The 'wub, wub, wub' sounds started after I got my wheels reinstalled from painting... I was told to make sure that I get the lugs tightened after driving around for a couple of weeks. Ofcourse, I haven't done it yet. I'll swing by the shop to get it them tighten tomorrow and report back ASAP

Originally Posted by zen' post='342884' date='Oct 8 2006, 02:11 PM
Make sure the lugs are tightened to the proper torque and that one of them is not tighted too much. sometimes the rotor gets warped by uneven torque.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VTec' post='342472' date='Oct 7 2006, 06:45 AM
From outside the car as it goes by at a slow speed, you can hear a rubbing sound that sounds like a warped rotor tapping against the brake pad as the wheel turns. It's not a squeak - it just sounds like a slight rub of pad against rotor. Also, it's not constant. It sounds like it rubs in one particular spot, so there is a pulsing effect as the wheel turns (rub-rub-rub-rub-etc.)

The strange thing is that you cannot hear it at all from inside the car and you cannot feel anything but a nice solid brake feel. If it was actually a warped rotor, wouldn't it be felt as you brake?

I had the car in service for something unrelated and asked them to look at it. Of course, when I picked up my car, all service people had left and the note said they were not able to recreate it. I think my SA forgot to put that you can only hear it from outside the car!

Now, I'm trying to get some info so I'm ready when I go back in - thanks for any help.

I think that one of the handbrake pads (jaw) has been broken. I'm 99% sure about it.
Here is a pic on that issue.

Brake Issue - Rubbing-handbrake.jpg
Old 10-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Members

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check the torque on my lugs. Also, nicke60gre, I didn't even know this could happen. I'll check into that as well.

If anyone else has any ideas, please post. I should have my car in the shop this week and will be armed with info. I'll post the outcome, of course.

Quick Reply: Brake Issue - Rubbing