E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake hiss/noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by infin8
I have the extended BMW warranty but no maintenance included. I took my 2007 530i to North Scottsdale BMW and complained about the squeaking coming from my front brakes. I told them it was no problem for me to pay out of pocket but that I just wanted the noise gone. After completing the other services I requested (oil change, replace diversity amplifier, flush/replace brake fluid), my SA told me that squeaky brakes are just a common problem with the e60, and there was nothing they could do. I asked if maybe the sensors needed to be replaced and he said they only replace the sensors when doing a complete brake job...pads & rotors. So because my brakes were replaced in April and are basically new, there is nothing they could do.

I've owned several U.S., Japanese, and European cars over the years and never had a problem with squeaky brakes that new rotors and pads didn't fix. I bought my E60 brand new - there's no way in hell I would have let a service tech tell me that becasue the brakes didn't squeak when I drove it out of the dealership - and if it was indeed true I wouldn't own a BMW ever again.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
Have you done this?

If so, please explain....and where exactly does the metal to metal contact exist on a brake caliper.

Last I remember handling a brake caliper all it did was sit in the carrier and push a piston against the brake pad.............
Oh yes lots of times. the piston pushes against the pad so there a point, the area where the pads slide, the area where the pads are snaped in, the tips of the anti chatter spring etc etc..