E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake force display- has anybody seen it work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 2006 alpine white decota beige interior, GPS, Active steer, Adaptive lamps,rear blinds electric,side blinds

This is a technology innovation in your E60 that works without the driver knowing it.From what I have read from BMW articles,it cautions the driver behind you with a brighter display of brake lights when ever the sudden brake is applied and thus minimises the chances of a collission. ---Just wondering how doest that actually work in a real scenario !! Do you think this is a useful technology? Would love to see if anyone got any pic of that .

cheers
Jay
Old 12-30-2006, 02:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i know what an e60 is doing emergency braking it turns both on, so when i see one ill know...
but do you think other people will know he is in emergency braking , at least i hope they are sure he is braking?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 alpine white decota beige interior, GPS, Active steer, Adaptive lamps,rear blinds electric,side blinds

how different is that display when compared to normal brake light? I would love to see some pics on that.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:27 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by jay_menon' post='372324' date='Dec 30 2006, 01:28 PM
how different is that display when compared to normal brake light? I would love to see some pics on that.

It just lights up an extra set of brake lights, so 5 bulbs instead of 3, not so much brighter as a larger area of brake lights.

Nobody is going to know you are braking harder, it is just a mechanism to try to make the brake lights a bit more noticeable under severe braking.

They do work as described, I got someone to stand by the side of the (deserted) road whilst I stood on the brakes and the extra lights do come on.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributors

They also come on when ABS kicks in.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by KAF' post='372370' date='Dec 30 2006, 05:27 PM
It just lights up an extra set of brake lights, so 5 bulbs instead of 3, not so much brighter as a larger area of brake lights.

Nobody is going to know you are braking harder, it is just a mechanism to try to make the brake lights a bit more noticeable under severe braking.

They do work as described, I got someone to stand by the side of the (deserted) road whilst I stood on the brakes and the extra lights do come on.
I was under the impression that this feature was not yet enabled for the UK market

I'm sure I have read somewhere that some kind of legislation needed to be passed first - seems crazy for such an obvious safety feature. I don't think your average driver would know though that the extra lights mean heavy braking but anything that makes the lights more noticable has got to be better surely

I'll have to try and stamp on my brakes and see if I can get them to work although I'm pretty sure I tried to do this when I first got it back in May of this year.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 530XI Sapphire Black, Black Int. 6sp, Cold, Prem

For those of you who live in NJ and has followed an NJ Transit bus...When the driver lightly applies the brakes, the yellow or amber caution lights go on....during normal or hard braking, the red lights glow..
Old 12-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by dawi' post='372437' date='Dec 30 2006, 11:38 PM
I was under the impression that this feature was not yet enabled for the UK market
It's advertised in the '05 and '06 UK brochure, and on the BMW UK website, so I think it's enabled... (never tried on my car - or rather, the one time I might have tested it, I was more concerned about not hitting the %&*!("* in front!)