E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Flush/Bleeding first time, need help!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004
Exclamation Brake Flush/Bleeding first time, need help!?

Hi Guys, I have been following different thread for brake fluid flush and thought I had enough details and gave it an attempt today. Problems I faced, my DIY pressure system worked fine, but leaked at the cap to the brake reservoir. So I could not use it and had to try bleeding by pumping the pedal method. Now, everything was going well and I filled and took out about 1.2L fluid in total at the end. But by the time I got around to the front brakes, the pedal was making squishy sounds everytime it was pressed (during the whole time, the brake reservoir never went below half i.e. between min and max position). Now, what is worrying me - why did the front brakes made squishy noise and with the car off, the brake pedal is too hard and cannot even press more than half.

Note - I was not able to turn the car on (engine) or go for a drive as the tranny is draining overnight and the engine is empty, not filled up for now. Tranny and engine fluid will be done tomorrow morning, but I thought to post for the brake fluid change.

Do I need to worry about the brake fluid, or is suppose to be that hard with car turned off after bleeding/flush. And what about the squishy noise in the front brakes. Is there anything I can do tomorrow to make sure the brakes will work fine when I finally put the car on ground for test drive.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:16 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Not sure what squishy sound means exactly. You say the pedal is hard and that is good. Are there any unusual sounds now? I'd just take it out and test drive it (carefully).

Not sure why it was leaking around the cap. The Motive Bleeder solution is so good.

I also don't like the pedal method because you end up exercising the brake master cylinder seals past the normal area of travel inside the master cylinder. I've rebuilt more than one master cylinder and the inside bore is clearly smoother over time in the normal seal travel section.