E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Failure message

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

I had the rear brakes serviced last Friday. They replaced pads and rotors. I drove it a short distance on Friday afternoon, nothing on the weekend, and then out to the airport (25 miles) on Monday night.

This morning (Thursday) I flew back into town and picked up the car. I wasn't more than 100 feet out of the parking garage when the screen cleared with a message "Brake Failure" with sub messages about not braking sharply and being really careful. It went away on it's own after about a minute or 90 seconds. I made an instant assumption that it had something to do with the brake service and called the dealer. I gave him a "piece of my mind" - but not too much as I haven't that much to spare.

I dropped by the dealer this afternoon. The SA checked the messages on the service menu (I could have done that) and said that since there wasn't a red flagged message then there isn't any record to see what happened. I questioned him about a sensor not being connected correctly and he said that if a sensor had tripped it would have shown up as a red flag on either the front or read brake icon on the service menu. OK. As far as he could tell, the brakes are fine and that it might be a control module "glitch". Upon hearing the word "glitch" I gave him another small piece of my mind about techincal precision.

He did mention that since the car had sat for 2 days (4 years old, 84,000 KM) that the battery could have dropped in voltage and caused random messages to appear. I can almost accept that in general but at the moment the battery seems mighty strong.

I naively thought that any message like that would be recorded somewhere in a log. No?

Has anyone had a similar experience? Did it get resolved?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Contributors

A glitch in the braking system is not something I'd leave to chance. Tell your SA you want the complete brake system inspected ... not a tour of iDrive!
Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

If he says a glitch, then I would not drive the car until they have fix it.
you dont know what will happen to the car...
It may loss it brakes
Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: ActiveHybrid - fully tricked out
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='720851' date='Nov 14 2008, 03:47 AM
If he says a glitch, then I would not drive the car until they have fix it.
you dont know what will happen to the car...
It may loss it brakes
All good advice. Thanks,
Old 11-14-2008, 07:35 AM
Members

unlikely you will "loose" your brakes, they are designed to fail safe. You may loose the servo assistance or the abs but the brakes will still work unless you get a leak.
Even if you did get a leak the circuit runs in tandem so 2 wheels would still have braking capacity.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

There is no such thing as a glitch in these high precision automobiles. There was a reason that message came on and it would be stored as an error code on the on-board computer, not necessarily the iDrive that you would access. Ask him to check the fault codes on the vehicle - it would explain everything.

I can't believe BMW employs folks who openly admit to "glitches" in their vehicles...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by chris f' post='721074' date='Nov 15 2008, 12:35 AM
unlikely you will "loose" your brakes, they are designed to fail safe. You may loose the servo assistance or the abs but the brakes will still work unless you get a leak.
Even if you did get a leak the circuit runs in tandem so 2 wheels would still have braking capacity.
sound like this has happen to you before
any thing can happen it a computer that contro it.
like you say you can always still use the hand brake
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny thing you mentioned this, and funny this that the OP is from Toronto.

I have a Volvo V50 AWD T5 before this car. Volvo's are suppossed to be super safe right? ... right?
Merging from the 401 to 427 highways I had to cut in so I sped up to 140km/h and started moving over. I had to brake (about 20% pressure) once I merged into the lane. My brake pedal hit the floor and thank god no one was in the next lane. I got off the highway safely using gears only ... I had no brakes period. Pumping the brakes didn't work, no message showed up, fail safe didn't work.

The dealer said I blew a line, I'm only glad I'm ok.

Originally Posted by chris f' post='721074' date='Nov 14 2008, 11:35 AM
Old 11-14-2008, 05:21 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I do remember a similar message after the first time I had my car serviced. I don't remember the exact text, but it did make me wonder. I also assume that the brakes are probably pretty hard to screw up completely unless there is a severe hydraulic failure. I once had a full size van that had a rear leaf spring break which severed the brake line. Not fun - had to use the emergency brake to stop the van. I had the car in for something like the "high battery drain" problem, which required a newer software version. It never came back.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='721634' date='Nov 14 2008, 08:53 PM
Funny thing you mentioned this, and funny this that the OP is from Toronto.

I have a Volvo V50 AWD T5 before this car. Volvo's are suppossed to be super safe right? ... right?
Merging from the 401 to 427 highways I had to cut in so I sped up to 140km/h and started moving over. I had to brake (about 20% pressure) once I merged into the lane. My brake pedal hit the floor and thank god no one was in the next lane. I got off the highway safely using gears only ... I had no brakes period. Pumping the brakes didn't work, no message showed up, fail safe didn't work.

The dealer said I blew a line, I'm only glad I'm ok.

Wow...better watch out for them volvos north of the border!

Quick Reply: Brake Failure message