E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Energy Regeneration

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to recall that advanced (new) technology and features usually (initially) find their way to the market on high-end/more expensive cars before they trickle down to other more modest means of transportation.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
Indeed, you or I may not individually realize the benefits, but think of all the 5-series out on the road as a whole. If BMW can improve fuel economy by even 0.25mpg with Brake Energy Regeneration, then that number becomes a big number if there's 30,000 5-series on the road, just in the U.S.

Brake Energy Regeneration is part of Efficient Dynamics, which is a focus on lowering emissions and increasing fuel economy while not compromising performance.

Michael.
Oh yeah, I agree. I just don't think the way BMW implements it on 5 series improves fuel economy at all. All it does is free up the engine to accelerate better, without having to drive the alternator while accelerating. I do think it is an improvement, but it is misleading to call it "Brake Energy Regeneration" - hence, my POV that it is just a marketing stunt.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Oh yeah, I agree. I just don't think the way BMW implements it on 5 series improves fuel economy at all. All it does is free up the engine to accelerate better, without having to drive the alternator while accelerating. I do think it is an improvement, but it is misleading to call it "Brake Energy Regeneration" - hence, my POV that it is just a marketing stunt.
Thats not true. It was introduced along with other things to make the cars more efficient. I don't know about the US but in Europe cars tax is based on the amount of emissions they produce (along with fuel price is why you don't see hardly any v8 motors over here). When Efficient Dynamics was launched the emissions dropped quite a bit and that dropped the tax bands quite a bit and made them look miles better in comparision to Merc and Audi who took a few years to catch up. It made many company car drivers switch to BMW in the UK because were also heavily taxed on company car emissions as well. I don't really know about real world driving but certainly for book figures and efficiency tests it made a large difference.

The US is only just really getting into car efficiency and fuel is so cheap its not really a worth marketting the cars efficiency the same way it is in Europe where it plays a large part. Do they even mention Efficient Dynamamics over there? we have BMW loan cars here plastered with decals for it driving around.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i / 475 / LCSW / ZPP / ZSP / 205 / 4BY / 508 / 609 / 6FL

Originally Posted by Dandle
The US is only just really getting into car efficiency and fuel is so cheap its not really a worth marketting the cars efficiency the same way it is in Europe where it plays a large part. Do they even mention Efficient Dynamamics over there? we have BMW loan cars here plastered with decals for it driving around.
There's a section in the USA website for Efficient Dynamics... not as fancy as BMW.com though...
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...t3YaA8zNSIEWB0=

Porsche has been jumping on the bandwagon the past year or two with their "Intelligent Performance." Every issue of Christophorus (Porsche's equiv to BMW Magazine) has an article or two regarding Intelligent Performance. I got an email from my local Porsche dealer a few days ago inviting me for the Cayenne Hybrid unveiling.

Michael.