E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Brake Dust covered Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

My mechanic friend told me that the e60 burns through the brakes more than others...
I get bad black front wheels after 2 weeks.....
I doo take it very easy and even use the sports shift to slow down...reducing brake wear

is anyone else experiencing this.

The brakes are about 3 months old and done at BMW.
How lond does a set of brakes usually last on a e60???
Old 08-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d m sport black, leather beige interior

For me, 70000 KM is normal for the back.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ulvit
Hi Guys,
My mechanic friend told me that the e60 burns through the brakes more than others...
I doo take it very easy and even use the sports shift to slow down...reducing brake wear
Original BMW brake pads are well known for their ability to produce lots of brake dust. I can't comment about brake pad or rotor life because that depends a lot on how the car is driven. That said, if you'd like to reduce or eliminate the brake dust that collects on your wheels, the easiest solution is to replace the pads with an after-market brand with a good reputation to do that. Here's a thread you might want to hit: https://5series.net/forums/topic/981...1#entry1167530

As for using your transmission to save your brakes ... well that's up to you ... but BMW transmissions (especially automatics) are known to die at an early age. In my opinion, it's a lot cheaper to replace brake pads and rotors than to replace a transmission.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Original BMW brake pads are well known for their ability to produce lots of brake dust. I can't comment about brake pad or rotor life because that depends a lot on how the car is driven. That said, if you'd like to reduce or eliminate the brake dust that collects on your wheels, the easiest solution is to replace the pads with an after-market brand with a good reputation to do that. Here's a thread you might want to hit: https://5series.net/forums/topic/981...1#entry1167530

As for using your transmission to save your brakes ... well that's up to you ... but BMW transmissions (especially automatics) are known to die at an early age. In my opinion, it's a lot cheaper to replace brake pads and rotors than to replace a transmission.
Thanks for the heads up. Yer, i don't like really using the tranny to slow...
I will keep that in mind.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Hi Guys,

That is par for the course. I have to wash my wheels at least every two weeks to keep them somewhat clean. It certainly does not help having 13 inch plus brakes and 17 inch wheels.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

You could always change your brake pads. A lot of members are running Hawk HPS pads which have better braking power w/ considerably less dust.

The fronts are $100 and the rears are $75 for a set.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

within the first week of buying my car I replace the pads with ceramics, Even with free brakes the dust is not worth it to me.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550, premium, sport, nav, bluetooth, satellite, cold, M5/Mtech front bumper and side skirts, matte black kidney grilles, M5 fender grilles, M5 mirrors, euro stickers, 35% tint, 20" Miro 111s (summer), 18" VMR VB3s w/ 10 mm H&R spacers (winter)

Hi Guys,

I don't have brake dust. But my wife tells me that I'm sick in the head because I wash my car a couple of times a week. I hate brake dust AND I have a black car... gotta keep her clean!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Members

hahaha Howz550, i would wash my car every day if my back wasn't f@#ked...
but good work!!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Members

My Ride: Stock for now

I nornally wash 2 of my cars every week but not for the brake dust but for the dust overall and dead bugs on the bumper. I hate to see bug splats on the bumper and windshield. We all have our vises.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust covered Wheels