E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

brake clip needs replacment>??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so WTF is a "brake clip"? took my car in for squeeky brakes and had it all day and got the call they need to order a brake clip to be replaced that is causing some vibration in the brakes (didnt even notice it) in addition to new pads front and back (still have 9k on Idrive to go on both pads) PLUS both front and back sensors!

Like jesus christo-I just had the car in 2 months ago with squeeky brakes-would they not have caught this then? This was at a different dealer but still-they replaced the back sensors and pads then but mentioned nothing of the fronts or this "clip" whatever that is.

SO basically getting all new brakes-pads anyway.

And apperently I learned last time they mid-adjusted the sensor when they replaced it on the rears. AND misadjusted to the point where backing up for me caused 3 times the squeel as normal front braking when it occured.

Basically the car is worse off now then before I ever took it in for anything-SErrrriously-not only was that last dealer full of a-holes which I already commented on-but they screwed up my brakes to boot.

That is why I changed and am happy with the service team so far.

Even drove with the shop foreman to show him the problem and he laughed and commented when he saw that I had gotten an oil change at 10k that I must be really enjoying the car-v. last shop dude was blasting me for "overusing" the car and being too agressive. Night and day people-they got raped on 2 bad complaint surveys by me so hopefully they shape up or ship out of town-unlikely but hey.

Anyway-oh ya-for you tech guys-a brake clip??
Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='432766' date='Jun 6 2007, 02:49 PM
so WTF is a "brake clip"? took my car in for squeeky brakes and had it all day and got the call they need to order a brake clip to be replaced that is causing some vibration in the brakes (didnt even notice it) in addition to new pads front and back (still have 9k on Idrive to go on both pads) PLUS both front and back sensors!

Like jesus christo-I just had the car in 2 months ago with squeeky brakes-would they not have caught this then? This was at a different dealer but still-they replaced the back sensors and pads then but mentioned nothing of the fronts or this "clip" whatever that is.

SO basically getting all new brakes-pads anyway.

And apperently I learned last time they mid-adjusted the sensor when they replaced it on the rears. AND misadjusted to the point where backing up for me caused 3 times the squeel as normal front braking when it occured.

Basically the car is worse off now then before I ever took it in for anything-SErrrriously-not only was that last dealer full of a-holes which I already commented on-but they screwed up my brakes to boot.

That is why I changed and am happy with the service team so far.

Even drove with the shop foreman to show him the problem and he laughed and commented when he saw that I had gotten an oil change at 10k that I must be really enjoying the car-v. last shop dude was blasting me for "overusing" the car and being too agressive. Night and day people-they got raped on 2 bad complaint surveys by me so hopefully they shape up or ship out of town-unlikely but hey.

Anyway-oh ya-for you tech guys-a brake clip??

I have '07 e60 and have a brake squeal issue that my dealer cannot figure out. What year is your car and what dealer do you have it serviced at?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Members

I went to a mechanic yesterday to have my brakes checked. They also told about the need for a brake clip. But, I don?t actually know what it is. I thought it was something like a sensor. But, it?s probably not, because I had a Mercedes Benz Brake Pad Sensor before with the previous car and I think it?s not more of a clip. Are there other terms used? And where could I actually find one?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jackie' post='443573' date='Jul 5 2007, 09:43 AM
I went to a mechanic yesterday to have my brakes checked. They also told about the need for a brake clip. But, I don?t actually know what it is. I thought it was something like a sensor. But, it?s probably not, because I had a Mercedes Benz Brake Pad Sensor before with the previous car and I think it?s not more of a clip. Are there other terms used? And where could I actually find one?
Part #8

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=34&fg=05
Old 07-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='443581' date='Jul 5 2007, 02:34 AM

A lot of thanks for that. That would help in the installation. Now, I just have to search where to buy one.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Back in the days when my E30 M3 was new, I was driving down a highway (at highway speed+) when all of a sudden a horrible sound started coming from the area of one of the wheels. It sounded like a bearing failed or something.

After I pulled over and looked more closely, I saw that one side of a similar brake clip had popped out and was lodged between the caliper and the spokes of the wheel (the factory cross-spoke BBS wheels). Just think baseball card in the spokes but much, much, louder!

I don't know exactly why these clips are there but I was surprised that mine popped out so easily. The wheel was damaged on the inside so badly that you could see the divots from the front side so BMW ended up replacing it under warranty (and I got to keep the old one as a spare.)

I can't figure out why it seems as if BMW is the only manufacturer that uses these clips -- I don't remember seeing them on any other cars...
Old 07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

The clips are there to hold the outboard static brake pad in place. I can understand how if they are worn (lose their springyness), the pad would be in constant contact with the disk and make it squeeky. As far as I can tell the e60 design is the same/similar as what BMW used on the e39 and I replace my own brakes and disks on my me e39. The clips are real easy to remove and replace and should not cost much at all since they are just spring steel.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

They're so easy to remove that they seem to fall off by themselves...
Old 07-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='443692' date='Jul 5 2007, 12:34 PM
They're so easy to remove that they seem to fall off by themselves...

Possibly, but I'd guess yours wasn't installed right in the first place. On the e39, they sort of hook under the caliper housing and spring tension holds them in place. The e60 looks similar, but I don't know for sure since I haven't had to remove them yet.