E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Bouncing Headlights. Is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I just had my left headlight housing replaced because of condensation on the eyebrow area. Now I notice that when I drive over roads with multuple dips and bumps, the left (and probably the right too) headlights seems to bounce as if it is on some spring systems. Is is a normal thing? The headlights bounce either in auto or ON mode.

You have to look closely to notice it. Drive safely, please.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi B32:

I have never noticed my headlights bouncing--other than because the car bounces. Sorry I can't help.

And, I have one for you. I mentioned on one of "my" 20.01.00 threads that I can exceed red line, under 20.01.00, at least in 1st and 2nd gears. I didn't think I could do so under 19.01.01, but maybe I didn't try to do so in the same way. If, and when, you are out and about, how about accelerating moderately toward red line in first or second, while holding forward on the Step level, to see if you can exceed red line. If you do, then you should encounter a rev limiter or fuel shut off. I had wondered if such a device is in place, and now I know that one is. Thanks much if you get around to doing the test.

And, now back to our regularly scheduled progamming concerning the bouncing headlight phenomenon.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='231063' date='Jan 28 2006, 03:03 PM
I just had my left headlight housing replaced because of condensation on the eyebrow area. Now I notice that when I drive over roads with multuple dips and bumps, the left (and probably the right too) headlights seems to bounce as if it is on some spring systems. Is is a normal thing? The headlights bounce either in auto or ON mode.

You have to look closely to notice it. Drive safely, please.
Auto-leveling to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic It looks pretty cool I must say
Old 01-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

That's the Marty Feldman eyes feature. And you think it looks strange? You should be coming toward you.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='231480' date='Jan 29 2006, 01:36 PM
That's the Marty Feldman eyes feature. And you think it looks strange? You should be coming toward you.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Guy, quite pulling my leg. I just went outside and popped the hood. I tried moving the right headlight housing and it seems very tightly screwed to the frame. But, on the left headlight housing (recently replaced), it seems that I can move it up and down about 1 to 2 mm. In other words, it is not as tightly fited as the right headlight. Hence, this explains the springing effects of the left lights when going over bumpy roads.

Now, I'm not talking the "eyes. When I bang on the either headlight housing with my fist, the eyes will bounce as if on a spring system. That, I am sure, is normal.

So are the headlights housing suppose to fit tightly to the car or should there be some movement? Looks liek I might have to go back to the dealership and waste some more time there. :thumbsdown:
Old 01-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='231533

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Guy, quite pulling my leg. I just went outside and popped the hood. I tried moving the right headlight housing and it seems very tightly screwed to the frame. But, on the left headlight housing (recently replaced), it seems that I can move it up and down about 1 to 2 mm. In other words, it is not as tightly fited as the right headlight. Hence, this explains the springing effects of the left lights when going over bumpy roads.

Now, I'm not talking the "eyes. When I bang on the either headlight housing with my fist, the eyes will bounce as if on a spring system. That, I am sure, is normal.

So are the headlights housing suppose to fit tightly to the car or should there be some movement? Looks liek I might have to go back to the dealership and waste some more time there. :thumbsdown:
[/quote]
Hi B32:

Did you notice the test I mentioned above?
Old 01-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='231535
Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='231480' date='Jan 29 2006, 01:36 PM

Cheers,
Ray Hull

Hi B32:

Did you notice the test I mentioned above?
[/quote]

What's suppose to happen? Will the auto shift or will the rpm just reduce, or will I feel like the car's out of gas? I'll try it this coming week when I go to the dealership and let you know. It's not going to blow my engine is it?
Old 01-29-2006, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Yes, if you look carefully the headlights will bounce a little. At lwast mine do - I thought it was normal
They are self adjusting abd I thought that this was part of it - kindof like when you start the car the headlights appear to start low and move upward.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Yes. This is normal. The headlights will appear to "bounce" up and down as they adjust themselves, this is especially noticable when driving over very bumpy surfaces.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by paasan' post='231609' date='Jan 29 2006, 05:37 PM
Yes. This is normal. The headlights will appear to "bounce" up and down as they adjust themselves, this is especially noticable when driving over very bumpy surfaces.
How about "vibrating" driving on the highway as if it is somewhat loose than the right headlights?

Quick Reply: Bouncing Headlights. Is it normal?