E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Body / Paint work for my E60

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

So some r-tard hit my E60 when it was parked. Evidently he can't see because the E60 was parked in a parking lot and he turned to park in the spot next to mine. Well he nailed the rear passenger side corner pretty good. It's not major but there's some scratches and chipped paint. The impact set off the car alarm, and had my wife not heard it we'd be screwed. She runs out to the spot knowing how anal I am and confronts the person, who said that damage was already there and proceded to leave. Smart of my wife to take a picture of his license plate and called for help (cops). Once he saw my wife snap the photo and call the police he just stopped and waited - still denying it. Cop shows up asked the guy point blank and he admits it. My wife, why didn't he just admit it - lier! The officer said there's nothing he can do but issue an exchange of information, but the other driver could write english. Great, so the officer has some words in spanish and gets his information and hands it to my wife. In short his insurance is paying... Again the bumper isn't bad, well not from the surface anyway. So the point of my post. I live in Maryland and have no idea what's a good shop in this crazy busy area. We had some body work on our 330i done through Russel BMW/Toyota/etc... body shop and that came out like shit!! I had two tone doors right up until I sold it, so naturally this is my fear for the 530i. The insurance company gave us a list of shops to use in our area, but I really don't know a good one from a bad one. I'm hoping someone here my have good recommendation for a paint/body shop.

-Jay
Old 10-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

you got a smart wife glad he admitted to it in the end
Old 10-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xi

Sorry to hear about this incident.

I suggest asking your local BMW dealership where the nearest certified BMW body shop is located.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Whatever you do, stay away from MAACO. They aren't worth two $#!+$. I am currently in Auto Body technician school and my best advice to you is to go to someone who has been in the business for a long time. Also, remember that depending on the color, age and care of your original paint job, some repaired panels will never look the same after they have been repaired and refinished. Good luck with everything and update us when the work is done!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Paint shops suck big time.... I live in the Rockville, MD area and I have used VOB and EuroMotorCars - both did an excellent job after I went OCD on them. Meaning that the car was in there for ages and then had to come back to get the flaws fixed. The pain match is great (which is hard on Space grey). Euro has just moved into a new state of the art body shop.

Sorry to hear about your car - my car just got back from the body shop for a similar incident except that the guy/driver left without a not. FYI in MD, leaving the scene of an accident is subject to criminal penalty (my wife a criminal defense attorney deals with these cases often). Maybe the cop was just being nice to the perp...
Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Originally Posted by Munich77
FYI in MD, leaving the scene of an accident is subject to criminal penalty (my wife a criminal defense attorney deals with these cases often). Maybe the cop was just being nice to the perp...

Yup. My wife was quick to pull that on the guy as well. As the story went, and I'm sure there's some exaggeration to make it more interesting, but in her words she said, "They guy wanted to flee the scene, so I ran up to him and took a pic of his license plate, then proceeded to tell him it's illegal to leave the scene - you'll goto jail." Ha, don't know about jail time thing, but what she said worked.

-Jay

Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Members

I would highly recommend going no where but this body shop

AUTO COLLISION EXPERTS, INC.
480 GOLDENROD TERRACE
Westminster, MD 21157
410-857-7400

I am an absolute nut about my car especially the paint, and have been extremly impressed with their work.

My mother has a 2006 ML350 that was backed into a mailbox, and hit a deer. 75% of the car was repainted, and unibody repair was done. All at "ACE." Valley Motors (a large Mercedes dealer) could not tell at trade in. (did not use paint meter) I was also unable to find any paintlines or any flaws in the paint at all. I use to own a car dealer so am trained to find accident damage.

My 530i in black was also keyed a week after I bought it. "ACE" painted the entire side and it looks amazing. The only problem is the freshly painted side actually looks better with less orange peel then the OEM paint.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Damn! You got a great wife haha

Hope it all gets sorted out soon.