E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Boat damaged, delivery delayed

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum bronze metallic, automatic, cold weather package, fold down rear seats, iPod adapter

Just got a call from my dealer. It seems that my car is on a ship that was somehow damaged (ran aground?) while arriving at a port in Georgia. Reportedly, the car isn't damaged. Problem is, my car is to be delivered on the west coast, not Georgia. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a full extra month for delivery.

I'm pretty steamed but there's really nothing I can do about it. Waiting for delivery is absolute torture to begin with, but for something like this to happen....

The dealer has promised to send me a link to further information. I'll copy it here if it contains any useful information.

Anybody care to guess what the likelihood of damage to the car is?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by DanP' post='535141' date='Feb 23 2008, 07:59 PM
Just got a call from my dealer. It seems that my car is on a ship that was somehow damaged (ran aground?) while arriving at a port in Georgia. Reportedly, the car isn't damaged. Problem is, my car is to be delivered on the west coast, not Georgia. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a full extra month for delivery.

I'm pretty steamed but there's really nothing I can do about it. Waiting for delivery is absolute torture to begin with, but for something like this to happen....

The dealer has promised to send me a link to further information. I'll copy it here if it contains any useful information.

Anybody care to guess what the likelihood of damage to the car is?
If there's minor damage, they'll fix it at the VPC/VDC and it'll be good as new. (You'd be surprised how many cars are damaged in transit that are taken care of at the prep center.)

Are they saying you have to wait another month because they're going to put it on another ship from Georgia to the west coast or is it going to be transported via a ground carrier? (I assume they're not going to build you a new car -- that would only make sense if there was extensive damage...)
Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributors

A repeat performance ??? http://forums.e60.net/lofiversion/index.php/t49294.html Who is driving those boats?
Old 02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

I have a friend that also has his 335 on the ship! wtf.....
Old 02-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Some employees 328's were on that boat. They will get them all fixed though! no worries!
Old 02-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

sorry to hear, where in cali is the car being delivered to/where are you located in cali? As rudy said, VPC will take care of any damage if any, and you won't know the difference....what do you have on order anyway?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum bronze metallic, automatic, cold weather package, fold down rear seats, iPod adapter

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='535146' date='Feb 23 2008, 05:35 PM
If there's minor damage, they'll fix it at the VPC/VDC and it'll be good as new. (You'd be surprised how many cars are damaged in transit that are taken care of at the prep center.)

Are they saying you have to wait another month because they're going to put it on another ship from Georgia to the west coast or is it going to be transported via a ground carrier? (I assume they're not going to build you a new car -- that would only make sense if there was extensive damage...)
According to the dealer they're going to fix the ship's hull and then continue on their way. That's what the extra month is for. Whether or not the dealer is right about that remains to be seen -- their mantra appears to be "If we don't know the answer we'll make one up".
Old 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='535161' date='Feb 23 2008, 06:50 PM
sorry to hear, where in cali is the car being delivered to/where are you located in cali? As rudy said, VPC will take care of any damage if any, and you won't know the difference....what do you have on order anyway?
It's a 535xi, destined for northern California. (Funny, I used to have that in my signature, I don't know why it disappeared.)
Old 02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Thankfully my car left Bremerhaven a bit earlier on the Asian Emperor... scheduled to arrive at Port Hueneme day after tomorrow. Hopefully there are no shoals or navigational challenges for this boat!

Cal
Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

not nice to know you might get an accident repaired vehicle before it even gets on the road!

Quick Reply: Boat damaged, delivery delayed