E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

!BMWNA quietly discontinues included oil maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone else has heard the same?

Supposedly BMWNA unilaterally has decided to stop including our annual oil+filter change service as part of the included free maintenance program if you drive more than 6,000 miles since last service, as well as fluid top offs.

Has anyone ran into this yet?

Jeff, can you let us know what is being said at the dealership level?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll be very surprised if this is true. Where did you hear this?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy
I'll be very surprised if this is true. Where did you hear this?
A friend shared this:
This Service Information bulletin replaces SI B00 04 01 dated September 2001. Please read it in its entirety.

SUBJECT
BMW Maintenance Program Annual Low-mileage and Customer Pay Additional Engine Oil Changes

MODEL
All with Service Interval Indicator Systems (SIA or CBS), excluding diesel engine models

PROCEDURE
This bulletin outlines the new requirements for the annual low-mileage engine oil change on gasoline engine models effective September 1, 2010.

In order to perform an annual low-mileage oil change and receive payment under the BMW Maintenance Program, the following criteria must be met:

* At least one full year must have passed since the original in-service date (listed in DCSnet) or the date of the last engine oil change; and

* The vehicle must have been driven 6,000 miles or less.

Note: The sixty-day rule (as defined in the BMW Maintenance Program Center Operations Manual) does not apply to the annual low-mileage oil change. Additional vehicle fluids and/or additives top-ups cannot be claimed with this service, e.g., washer fluid

INFORMATION
The original annual low-mileage engine oil change criteria established in 2001 was partially based on the use of mostly mineral-based (non-synthetic) engine oils.

Due to advancements in engine oil research and technology, combined with the use of synthetic or synthetic blend engine oils in BMW vehicles, the criteria for performing an annual low-mileage engine oil change have been reevaluated.

The new engine oils used in BMW vehicles:

* Are more thermally stable

* Contain fewer contaminants (such as sulfur and nitrogen)

* Incorporate various additives that help oil performance (such as detergents, rust and corrosion inhibitors, antioxidants, anti-wear additives, and viscosity modifiers).

Low-mileage BMW Vehicles (Gasoline)

A limited number of BMW owners accumulate very low mileage on their vehicles annually, in some situations insufficient for the Service Interval Indicator System to call for an engine oil service or inspection I or II. For this situation, BMW NA recommends that the vehicle's engine oil be changed after 12 months.

A low-mileage vehicle is defined as one that has been driven 6,000 miles or less, and at least 365 days have passed since the original in-service date or the last oil engine change.

See the attachment for engine oil change scenarios.

Diesel engine oil services are currently based on a 12-month time interval; the annual low-mileage engine oil change does not apply to these models.

NOTE: The vehicle's Service Interval Indicator System (SIA/CBS) should not be reset when performing an annual low-mileage engine oil change.

Additional Customer Pay Engine Oil Changes Performed Between Factory Recommended Services

Some BMW owners prefer to change their oil more frequently than indicated by the vehicle's Service Interval Indicator System.

While this work can be performed as requested by the customer, it is not eligible for payment by BMW NA under the BMW Maintenance Programs or through Self Authorization.

The vehicle's Service Interval Indicator System (SIA/CBS) should not be reset when performing any engine oil changes between factory recommended services.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
The low-mileage annual engine oil change is allowed under the terms of the BMW Maintenance Program/Maintenance Program Upgrade, and can be submitted for payment to the Warranties department as a maintenance claim.

Defect Code:
85 99 00 87 MP

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:
00 00 252
Refer to KSD
Annual low mileage oil service
Old 09-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe I'm not as up to speed on the "low mileage" change rules. After reading the bulletin, it sounds like not too many people will be affected by this, right?

In other words, it seems to me that the subject you posted for this thread doesn't match the content of the bulletin. The bulletin only talks about the low mileage oil change and not the normal CBS required oil change.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Maybe I'm not as up to speed on the "low mileage" change rules. After reading the bulletin, it sounds like not too many people will be affected by this, right?
In other words, it seems to me that the subject you posted for this thread doesn't match the content of the bulletin. The bulletin only talks about the low mileage oil change and not the normal CBS required oil change.
I don't know how to interpret, as to it which is why I'm asking if anyone has gotten rejected yet or heard about this?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

I think the following quote from the bulletin is key to understanding how minor this change is:

Low-mileage BMW Vehicles (Gasoline)

A limited number of BMW owners accumulate very low mileage on their vehicles annually, in some situations insufficient for the Service Interval Indicator System to call for an engine oil service or inspection I or II. For this situation, BMW NA recommends that the vehicle's engine oil be changed after 12 months.

A low-mileage vehicle is defined as one that has been driven 6,000 miles or less, and at least 365 days have passed since the original in-service date or the last oil engine change.
I don't know for sure but I think the major difference is that they've now added the 6K mile metric to the definition...
Old 09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Contributors

I think the following quote from the bulletin is key to understanding how minor this change is:

I don't know for sure but I think the major difference is that they've now added the 6K mile metric to the definition...
The way I read it, you have a mileage indication on your car for its annual maintenance on the oil service that bmw has set, say 12,000 or 15,000 miles, whatever it may be. If after 12 months from prior service you have driven say only 8,000miles, you are no longer eligable for your annual oil service, and you have to wait until you reach that predetermined mileage level unless you have driven less than 6,000 miles.

If that is correct, then its disappointing and a true change and seems to be counterintuitive to the forced maintenance each year that ultimately serves to protect bmw on leased vehicles in particular. I happen to fall into this category as I only drive 6-8K per year and may have to wait perhaps 18months on average for an included service. Very foolish imho...
Old 09-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by m630
The way I read it, you have a mileage indication on your car for its annual maintenance on the oil service that bmw has set, say 12,000 or 15,000 miles, whatever it may be. If after 12 months from prior service you have driven say only 8,000miles, you are no longer eligable for your annual oil service, and you have to wait until you reach that predetermined mileage level unless you have driven less than 6,000 miles.

If that is correct, then its disappointing and a true change and seems to be counterintuitive to the forced maintenance each year that ultimately serves to protect bmw on leased vehicles in particular. I happen to fall into this category as I only drive 6-8K per year and may have to wait perhaps 18months on average for an included service. Very foolish imho...
You're reading it correctly but I'm not so sure it warrants the phrase "BMWNA quietly discontinues included oil maintenance!" as you chose for the subject of this topic.

BMW seems to have stood behind the CBS indicators for some time now and even though many people opt to change their oil (and pay for it out of pocket) more frequently to be safe, it seems that the demise of the BMW engines over the long-term as many people predicted isn't happening...
Old 09-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Contributors

You're reading it correctly but I'm not so sure it warrants the phrase "BMWNA quietly discontinues included oil maintenance!" as you chose for the subject of this topic.

BMW seems to have stood behind the CBS indicators for some time now and even though many people opt to change their oil (and pay for it out of pocket) more frequently to be safe, it seems that the demise of the BMW engines over the long-term as many people predicted isn't happening...
I understand now, and think the title should have been ...discontinues "annual" oil service , can you fix it o wise one

Either way still sux though
Old 09-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Basicly .... Drive your car....
If you are putting under 6k on it a year a lot of things are not covered, like the well known Battiery drain issue.