E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW stop / start

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 06:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Its been reported here in the UK that BMW will adopt the Bosch stop/ start system to save fuel while stationary from next year including the 7,5 & 3 series. It is claimed this will give approx. 5% fuel savings overall.
Only Citroen uses a fuel saving system like this currently.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='286995' date='May 24 2006, 05:44 PM
Its been reported here in the UK that BMW will adopt the Bosch stop/ start system to save fuel while stationary from next year including the 7,5 & 3 series. It is claimed this will give approx. 5% fuel savings overall.
Only Citroen uses a fuel saving system like this currently.
Maybe so in city traffic but the starter will burn off and the car will need a much bigger charger and battery.
That means more weight (battery) and energy comsuming (charger).

I'm personally not that hot on these <5% savings in gas economy.
In fact they do not save that much fuel!

We can all do better by buying smaller engines to our cars and driving smoother.

The real improvement is gain by diesel and coming hybribs.

Nevertheless, everthing consuming less oil is good.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Thats going to hurt the starter... I always thought starting and stopping an engine a lot will hurt the car. I dont care about the battery. That can be replaced for a lot cheaper than engine components.

AND will the car start and stop quick enough? BMW software + Start and stop = no good.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Not a fan of this at all. I am for helping to conserve fuel and one of the points that I chose the 5 over other cars. But I really don't want my car to start taking over the engine completely. :thumbsdown:

How long will it be until they start limiting acceleration or highway speeds? They are already talking about pulling back the limits to 55 MPH here in NJ.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

BMW published an article in last month's North America BMW Magazine that suggested using the button to stop the car if it is going to sit idle for more than a certain amount of time. This and other methods were described to conserve fuel. So the Start Stop is useful for more than just "show".

If I find some time, I'll try to transcribe it.

I don't have the button, so I can't say for sure, but it is fast enough with the key. There is one very long red light that I used it on once, but other than that I don't really need to do this - not how my driving is.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='287052' date='May 24 2006, 07:11 PM
I don't have the button, so I can't say for sure, but it is fast enough with the key.
Actually the "key" has the function already.

When you start your car just twist the key to the "start" position and let go.

The car will do the rest.

Tryed it?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Fock, now we have to wait for iDrive to boot up every time the traffic light turns green...
Old 05-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='287052' date='May 24 2006, 11:11 AM
BMW published an article in last month's North America BMW Magazine that suggested using the button to stop the car if it is going to sit idle for more than a certain amount of time. This and other methods were described to conserve fuel. So the Start Stop is useful for more than just "show".

If I find some time, I'll try to transcribe it.
I don't have the button, so I can't say for sure, but it is fast enough with the key. There is one very long red light that I used it on once, but other than that I don't really need to do this - not how my driving is.
BMW suggested that if stopping at traffic light or idle for more than 20 seconds, you should turn off the engine to conserve fuel. The key number here is 20 seconds. We need to find out how much fuel the car burn during 20 sec idle, and how much fuel is needed to restart the car. If more fuel is needed to restart the car, it'd make no sense to turn off the engine.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Contributors

poor starter
Old 05-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by my530i' post='287080' date='May 24 2006, 12:53 PM
BMW suggested that if stopping at traffic light or idle for more than 20 seconds, you should turn off the engine to conserve fuel. The key number here is 20 seconds. We need to find out how much fuel the car burn during 20 sec idle, and how much fuel is needed to restart the car. If more fuel is needed to restart the car, it'd make no sense to turn off the engine.

No, more is not needed. I think the 20 second figure is the threshold after which you're using more fuel than restarting.

I just saw some TV show saying that the US uses 10% of its gasoline idling at red lights.

Quick Reply: BMW stop / start