E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW RECOMMEND REPLACING RUNFLATS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

I seen it written many times before that BMW recommend punctured run flats are replaced not repaired. I understand this is on the basis that it's difficult to ascertain what damage has been done to the side walls while running on flat. I was surprised to see on the official BMW Ireland website that they also recommend that non run flat tyres are replaced when puntured not repaired on the same rationale.

I'm due to replace my rear runflats (Goodyear Eagles R18s) after 38k miles good service. I've had 4 or 5 punctures during those 38k and have had them repaired after driving for some sdistance on ''flat''. The repairs were successful and in my experience didn't affect the performance of the tyre. BMWs assertion that non run flats should be replaced when punctured to my mind settles the argument regarding replacing run flats. They are repairable however BMWs recommendation that all tyres should be replaced when punctured is merely a ''cover my ass'' excercise in the event of litigation. At ?280 a pop them is expensive punctures!!

Has anyone had any negative experiences of repairing runflats?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 05, 545I: Titanium gray A36, 6sp Select., Sports package, Prem. sound package, Nav, Sport seats, Active steering, cold weather package, pwr rear sun shade, manual shades side, rear air bags, Nitto 555 Extreme performance radials, 124 wheels. 06 330XI, 6sp AT., Sports seats, Nav, Sat radio,

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='941781' date='Jul 14 2009, 07:53 AM
I seen it written many times before that BMW recommend punctured run flats are replaced not repaired. I understand this is on the basis that it's difficult to ascertain what damage has been done to the side walls while running on flat. I was surprised to see on the official BMW Ireland website that they also recommend that non run flat tyres are replaced when puntured not repaired on the same rationale.

I'm due to replace my rear runflats (Goodyear Eagles R18s) after 38k miles good service. I've had 4 or 5 punctures during those 38k and have had them repaired after driving for some sdistance on ''flat''. The repairs were successful and in my experience didn't affect the performance of the tyre. BMWs assertion that non run flats should be replaced when punctured to my mind settles the argument regarding replacing run flats. They are repairable however BMWs recommendation that all tyres should be replaced when punctured is merely a ''cover my ass'' excercise in the event of litigation. At ?280 a pop them is expensive punctures!!

Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='941781' date='Jul 14 2009, 03:53 PM

Hi all - first post!

Here's the "official" line from the tyre manufacturers:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/consumer-informati...-flat-tyres.htm

It would appear that some tyres are ok to be repaired once, and others, never.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 05, 545I: Titanium gray A36, 6sp Select., Sports package, Prem. sound package, Nav, Sport seats, Active steering, cold weather package, pwr rear sun shade, manual shades side, rear air bags, Nitto 555 Extreme performance radials, 124 wheels. 06 330XI, 6sp AT., Sports seats, Nav, Sat radio,

If I was you I would consider replacing those run flats with traditional tires. After breaking the side wall of my third run flat in two years in a Los Angeles Fwy pot hole...and a long discussion with my dealer's service rep., I decided to try traditional tires. I actually believe the only thing run flats are good for is to drive to service center for repair. My service rep also commented that if it wasn't for Ford and Firestone's, Explore issue none of us would be driving on them. It is all about CYA!

So in March I replaced my Bridegstone Potenza's with Nitto 555 Extreme Performance radials. After 50,000 miles I have a new car. What took me so long....I took a sound reading inside my car with the run flats at 80 mph, and it was 72 decibels. After the Nitto's were installed the noise level at 80 dropped to 63 decibels. I do believe I gave up a smidgen of lateral support in the twistys...but unless I push the car very hard I don't feel that difference. Now my Idrive voice command finally work at highway speeds...because my car is now so quiet. I also get about 1.5 miles better mpg. I should mention I did have a spare!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by BRAD' post='941781' date='Jul 14 2009, 07:53 AM
Nope. I repaired my runflats. When I had the MINI I repaired those set of tires like 5 times... and I think I plugged up one tire 3 times...

If it was just a nail with a leaky tire and you didnt drive on 0 psi for extended period of time I dont see how bad it can be... worse case it pops but its still a runflat and you can drive on it... it might be damaged... but any damaged runflat tire is still more driveable than a damaged regular tire.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D M Sport Auto. Carbon Black with Beige Leather

I've driven on 2 sets of puncture repaired Goodyear runflats for 30k miles with no problems whatsoever.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I have repaired both - RFT and conventional tires (or tyres ) many, many, many times and have never even thought about it twice - EVER! All this BS about replacing tires is just to get you to spend extra money - forget it and enjoy the ride
Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of it this way, if you do get the "road hazard protection plan", and you do ge a flat withing 60,000km, BMW will give you a new tire ... hint hint ... see where I'm coming from?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by andy535xi' post='943241' date='Jul 15 2009, 02:45 PM
Think of it this way, if you do get the "road hazard protection plan", and you do ge a flat withing 60,000km, BMW will give you a new tire ... hint hint ... see where I'm coming from?
Ya it sounds like its worth it... but I never know... you;ll have get quite a few nails and patches on my tires before i can make up that $800!

Dont know what their criteria is in "replacement"
Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='943263' date='Jul 15 2009, 05:02 PM
Ya it sounds like its worth it... but I never know... you;ll have get quite a few nails and patches on my tires before i can make up that $800!

Dont know what their criteria is in "replacement"
It's a condition of the tyre replacement policy that the car must have a full and up to date BMW maindealer service history incl. vehicle check. I'm sure tyres which have been repaired previously are also excluded. Can't imagine they'd make it easy to claim.

Quick Reply: BMW RECOMMEND REPLACING RUNFLATS