E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Professional Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='479533' date='Oct 9 2007, 06:41 PM
Saf,

I can't really agree with that. I went from Tomtom to BMW pro satnav at the start of September and I find it much better. There's no chance of missing a turn off with BMW as it has a little progress bar indicating exactly when it is time to turn. It's very quick to calculate (and recalculate) a route (at least as quick as Tomtom), taking literally a few seconds each time. I drove up north from Northampton during a day of huge tailbacks on the M6 and it flagged up the tailbacks, highlighted them on the screen, and quickly routed me round them. Admittedly, I did have to go near Crewe but hey, you can't have everything. The system was right about the tailbacks as I could see miles of non-moving traffic as I drove over the motorway flyover.
I honestly think there must be something wrong with your system. I don't think the HDD v DVD thing is an issue as the system actually has a large memory cache. Try taking the DVD out after planning the route - it still works just fine.

Martin
+1

I am very pleased with BMW Navi Pro. Timing is always ok. The only negative thing is that it is really conservative in calculating arrival times. Normally it gives ca. 25% too long driving time expectation from start. And I am not overspeeding a lot This was better in my former Navi business.

Greetings
Old 10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Originally Posted by Saf' post='479352' date='Oct 8 2007, 11:45 PM
Hi Guys

Even though I've got it set to 'use motorways' it still takes ridiculous routes through Glasgow rather than use the M8 motorway.

Saf
Yes ive noticed that one as well, I assume it does not take account of the many traffic lights.

Have you noticed the route it takes from Glasgow to Dundee? the silly thing is once you take the turn it recalculates the route and it ends up faster
Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Saf
Members

The Tom Tom always had a more sensible route picked out!

On a positive note I love the way BMW assist send directions straight to the sat nav leaving the driver to concentrate on the driving rather than fumbling about with the idrive whilst on the move.

Also using Google Maps to send directions straight to the car is great.

Being a part time Dundee United fan I'm looking forward to a wee trip up to Tannadice very soon!

Saf
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by Saf' post='479691' date='Oct 10 2007, 12:26 AM
The Tom Tom always had a more sensible route picked out!

On a positive note I love the way BMW assist send directions straight to the sat nav leaving the driver to concentrate on the driving rather than fumbling about with the idrive whilst on the move.

Also using Google Maps to send directions straight to the car is great.

Being a part time Dundee United fan I'm looking forward to a wee trip up to Tannadice very soon!

Saf
Ah, the tangerines...

In the 80s I followed Aberdeen ('cos I was living there). We had some great trips down on the train for the "Derby" games. We both had strong sides then and good managers. Jim McLean was something else. There was Hegarty, Narey, Sturrock etc. and they were great games. Quality was very high as both teams did well in Europe and against the old firm. I have great memories of those times, not spoiled by the odd scrap!

Oh and there was David Narey's "Toe poke" against Brazil...

Martin
Old 10-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Saf
Members

Hi Martin

Yes, the 80's were indeed the glory years!

I would trade in my 535d for my old Toyota Corolla to be back there now!!

Saf