E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Get This, I have Just bought a brand new BMW530i at the end of june, less then a months later I have noticed that there were some small spots where the paint was missing below the clear coat. I took it back to the dealership, thay took a picture and they game me the run around for almost a month, then I called BMW corporate and told me that I have to see a BMW REP, now I have an appointment for next week. Here is the deal: I do not want my car repainted, the value would go substantially down, I would like a new car, because that's what I paid for. If they offer just to repait it I want a monetary compensation in the amount of the depriciation of the car. I am running out of patience I am really considering going to a lawyer. Does anybody know what % would the car depriciate when repainted. ANY ADVICE IN THE SITUATION IS WELCOME. PLEASE HELP!!!
I will feel more secure to consult a lemon lawyer. I think that BMW will try to continue to give me the run around as long as possible Just because I am a WOMAN!!!!

My car is sapphire black (metallic) with beige interior.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

What color is your car
Old 08-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Assuming these are just a few isolated spots, just have them correct them. It will most likely not be noticeable. I had some scratches and a bumper dent fixed and you can't tell with the Silver Gray Metallic. If you get the car back and it isn't perfect, then go after them, but I'd give them the opportunity to fix it first.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I don't think that a properly done respray of just a small area of your car will have any effect on your resale value.

If it was improperly painted, a fair recompense would be for them to correct the bad paint spot. Getting a new car IMO is not justified.

Live and learn-- always go over your new car before taking the keys and make sure you are happy with it.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

I feel your pain, but you should have taken this up on delivery, not after.

Now you're stuck, I doubt you'll get a new car because of some "paint chips", especially if they don't take responsibility.

And I don't think repainting it will depreciate it at all, UNLESS it's a really, really crappy job.

Originally Posted by rodneyremington' date='Aug 12 2005, 04:36 PM
I don't think that a properly done respray of just a small area of your car will have any effect on your resale value.

If it was improperly painted, a fair recompense would be for them to correct the bad paint spot. Getting a new car IMO is not justified.

Live and learn-- always go over your new car before taking the keys and make sure you are happy with it.
[snapback]158721[/snapback]
Old 08-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

well one thing is definitely true that E60 BMW paints are very very thin and soft. you make scartches to the paint just by looking at it Owned Audi and VW before it was much much harder paint. With E60 dark colours no way going to car wash. Only hand wash!!!

you guys do not even what happened to me, I;m too lazy to take pic.
I bought a regular window washing liquid which you are supposed to put in to the plastic tank in the motor area....you guys know what I mean. When using wipers to wash your winshield and LIGHTS, and here comes the problem.....I used it a lot while lights on so it is spraied on the front lights and gets all over the hood, which is still ok so far.... but the next day!!!!! all of my hood paint is ruined, I have the transparent metalic color which is over the actual base color eaten out. My hood looks like The Moon surface....the little round holes everywhere!!!! It looks like fried eggs got burned there. No polish or anythink like this helps. You can feel the paint missing just by touching it. First I thought it was the chemical but I bought it at a major brandy gas station and thousands of cars use it..... It is the BMW paint!!! I just used it a lot on a very hot hood so it ate the paint.

Anyway....since I know how dealer will react I do not even bother going there and asking for some solution and compensation. They will ofcourse tell me I did it myself by pooring some accid "H2SO4" over it

I know a great body shop and they will solve it for like $100.....simply use adhesive paper and water, this will heat up the paint and make it soak and smooth itself again !!!!
Conslusion: BMW paint really sucks on 5er series.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by Peter530i' date='Aug 12 2005, 03:15 PM
well one thing is definitely true that BMW paints are very very thin and soft. you make scartches to the paint just by looking at it

you guys do not even what happened to me, I;m too lazy to take pic.
I bought a regular window washing liquid which you are supposed to put in to the plastic tank in the motor area....you guys know what I mean. When using wipers to wash your winshield and LIGHTS, and here comes the problem.....I used it a lot and it sprayed in front lights and got all over the hood, which is still ok so far.... but the next day!!!!! all of my hood paint is ruined, I have the transparent metalic color which is over the actual base color eaten out. My hood looks like The Moon surface....the little round holes everywhere!!!! First I thought it was the chemical but I bought it at a major brandy gas station and thousands of cars use it..... It is the BMW paint!!! Anyway....since I know how dealer will react I do not even bother going there and asking for some solution and compensation. I know a great body shop and they will solve it for like $100.....simply use adhesive paper and water, this will heat up the paint and make it soak and smooth itself again !!!!
Conslusion: BMW paint really sucks on 5er series.
[snapback]158736[/snapback]
Whoa! Not my experience. The metallic paint on both my BMWs is much better than any other car I've ever owned. My '98 looks like new. My wife's friends think I am letting her drive my e60. So far the e60 has seemed to be just as durable.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by gwf545' date='Aug 12 2005, 04:22 PM
Whoa!? Not my experience.? The metallic paint on both my BMWs is much better than any other car I've ever owned.? My '98 looks like new.? My wife's friends think I am letting her drive my e60.? So far the e60 has seemed to be just as durable.
[snapback]158738[/snapback]
well I believe you. But I mean that the E60 paints todays are bad. Many members I asked confirmed. Especially dark colors.
In a garage with a very little space if you just gently touch the car with your clothes while getting in the car you will see it on the paint right away and it has to get polished and waxed
Old 08-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The paint is the WORST EVER in the history of car manufacturing!
They know it, but they refuse solving the problem!
Old 08-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Contributors

I don't know, I saw a pink Renault yesterday that was REALLY scary

Quick Reply: BMW paint