E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW North America..and some engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

I call him and he told me that when they took the trany down they found that the flywheel has some play..
Say what? ......flywheel has play...... not likely my friend. The flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft with multiple bolts (7 by my count).....BMW North America..and some engine problems-w01331598153oes.jpg so it's a prob. that started at manufacturing. The clutch is sandwiched between the flywheel & pressure plate (large part in lower right of pic.)
BMW North America..and some engine problems-w01331600908sac.jpg so a loose flywheel could/would damage the clutch, and possiabley the spindle unto which the clutch fits. Now clutchs are not usually covered under CPO because they are considered to be normal wear items ( like brakes) and you can burn it out with noob driving or abuse. But there is nothing 'normal' about your situation so a full no cost repair is in order here. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525I

Originally Posted by solrac6262' post='784315' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:51 PM
Hello guys, long story short.. my car was in for some noise. last monday.. so on thursday I drove by the dealer, because the Tech is saying he couldn't duplicate the noise, so I go inside the shop turn on the car and show him the noise, so he heard the noise..
told the S.A it does have a problem

My car is an 04 cpo.. but after having my car there probably like 5 times in the past for the same issue.. they either told me that it was normal, couldnt duplicate the noise or any other BS.

on friday my S.A called me and he said that I had a problem whit the transmission ( I need it a new one) so I thoght woow good deal.
now today I call him and he told me that when they took the trany down they found that the flywheel has some play.. that probably could be the cause.. so the S.A tells me that is not covered under CPO. I had to pay, I said NO way man I have a lot of papers proving that I had that noise before and you guys always told me it was normal. he said let me check with the service manager and see if we do it without charging you because you do have the claims..

so I spoke to him today and he is saying that now the foreman is telling the tech what did he do to order the parts, because he was going to replaced the clutch and the tranny and how did he manage to get BMW to sent him the parts and they are not even sure if those parts are going to work, sorry guys I know its kind of complicated to understand.. but I couldn;t understand my S.A very well either.. so I ask him what if the foreman keeps saying that the noise is normal, then he said that I need it to do an apponitnment with some BMW engenire or something from BMW North America, meet at the dealer and proved to him the noise..

so I told him you know what tomorrow I am going to stop by and talk to that guy the foreman, I was so pissed, but he said that it was kind of hard because the tranny is down, so there is no way of listening to the god dam thing..

any opinions I know is to complicated, what could be the worst case scenario
have my car back and calling Bmw North America..
??

I feel your frustartion Carlos, I have taken my car to bmw of dallas and they said they can't duplicate a noise for my car as well, that is bs because they tried too fix it a first time, but didn't. I contacted them on friday last week and they never called me back. i feel your pain. good luck with the fix, i will need some luck to on fixing a ticking noise that has been re occurring on my car for a while now. good luck
Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

Originally Posted by BIMMERTIME-07' post='784584' date='Feb 4 2009, 12:51 AM
I feel your frustartion Carlos, I have taken my car to bmw of dallas and they said they can't duplicate a noise for my car as well, that is bs because they tried too fix it a first time, but didn't. I contacted them on friday last week and they never called me back. i feel your pain. good luck with the fix, i will need some luck to on fixing a ticking noise that has been re occurring on my car for a while now. good luck
thanks man, you need to call them asap, remember they are doing you a favor on fixing your car.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='784579' date='Feb 3 2009, 11:43 PM
Say what? ......flywheel has play...... not likely my friend. The flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft with multiple bolts (7 by my count).....Attachment 71002 so it's a prob. that started at manufacturing. The clutch is sandwiched between the flywheel & pressure plate (large part in lower right of pic.)
Attachment 71003 so a loose flywheel could/would damage the clutch, and possiabley the spindle unto which the clutch fits. Now clutchs are not usually covered under CPO because they are considered to be normal wear items ( like brakes) and you can burn it out with noob driving or abuse. But there is nothing 'normal' about your situation so a full no cost repair is in order here. Good luck.
thanks phill again for all the help you are giving me and all the pics.. like I said my S.A told me that the problem is on the FLYWHEEL and I can think or remember him saying something had play not sure exactly the flywheel but he did mention that and also not sure worn out.. I will call tomorrow or maybe stop by at the dealer to get a logical explanation, because everything start from the transmission, then the clutch. then transmission and clutch and now flywheel...thanks again for the help
Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Contributors

Phill sorry one question.. what part of is the flywheel is it covered under CPO??
Old 02-04-2009, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride:

I had a similar issue with noise that my dealer couldn't or wouldn't diagnose and fix. I got with BMW NA and made an appointment with the tech that travels to various service departments to diagnose issues that the shop cannot. That got me taken care of.

Make the appointment with the tech and have all of your service records together to show BMW NA that this problem has been checked over more than once.

I found the people at BMW NA very willing to help.

Good Luck!!

B
Old 02-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bespoke1' post='784759' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:44 AM
I had a similar issue with noise that my dealer couldn't or wouldn't diagnose and fix. I got with BMW NA and made an appointment with the tech that travels to various service departments to diagnose issues that the shop cannot. That got me taken care of.

Make the appointment with the tech and have all of your service records together to show BMW NA that this problem has been checked over more than once.

I found the people at BMW NA very willing to help.

Good Luck!!

B
thanks man, Im Just waiting today if nothing is resolved I will call them. its funny man on my last visit( december) for oil change I told the S.A the same thing, hey you now what can you check for that noise I even told the s.a that I thought it was some noise from the steering column since this happens when you turned off the car and the steering moves, but don't know I am not a tech.. the note on my paperwork says.... verified cust complaint found source of noise coming from steering rack, this is normal operation from steering rack
Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Any updates?