E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW issues recall for taillights

Old 09-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54
Default BMW issues recall for taillights

Apologies if this is a duplicate post from somewhere else on this forum:

BMW recalls more than 134,000 5-Series cars
BMW recalls more than 134,000 5-Series cars to fix problem with rear lights
Associated PressAssociated Press – 6 hours ago

DETROIT (AP) -- BMW is recalling more than 134,000 5-Series cars in the U.S. because the rear lights can fail.

The recall, posted Friday on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website, affects 528i, 535i, 550i and M5 cars from the 2008 through 2010 model years.

The U.S. safety agency says that increased electrical resistance can damage connections to the lights. That could cause loss of tail, brake turn-signal or backup lights. The agency says the loss of lights can increase the risk of a crash, although BMW says in documents that it has no reports of any accidents or injuries from the problem.

The cars, made from March 1, 2007 to Dec. 31, 2009, will give drivers visual and audible warnings if the problem occurs, and unaffected rear lights will display to warn drivers behind the cars, BMW said in documents filed with NHTSA.

BMW doesn't believe the problem is an unreasonable safety risk, but the company decided to do the recall due to a precedent set by a 2011 recall for a similar problem, BMW said in the documents.

In August of 2011, BMW recalled 241,000 of its popular 3-Series cars to fix the rear light connections. That recall affected cars from the 2002 through 2005 model years.

Owners in the latest recall will be notified starting next month. Dealers will replace part of the rear lamp connections at no cost to customers.

Owners can call BMW at (800) 525-7417 for more information.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by KyleB
Apologies if this is a duplicate post from somewhere else on this forum:

BMW recalls more than 134,000 5-Series cars
BMW recalls more than 134,000 5-Series cars to fix problem with rear lights
Associated PressAssociated Press – 6 hours ago

DETROIT (AP) -- BMW is recalling more than 134,000 5-Series cars in the U.S. because the rear lights can fail.

The recall, posted Friday on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website, affects 528i, 535i, 550i and M5 cars from the 2008 through 2010 model years.

The U.S. safety agency says that increased electrical resistance can damage connections to the lights. That could cause loss of tail, brake turn-signal or backup lights. The agency says the loss of lights can increase the risk of a crash, although BMW says in documents that it has no reports of any accidents or injuries from the problem.

The cars, made from March 1, 2007 to Dec. 31, 2009, will give drivers visual and audible warnings if the problem occurs, and unaffected rear lights will display to warn drivers behind the cars, BMW said in documents filed with NHTSA.

BMW doesn't believe the problem is an unreasonable safety risk, but the company decided to do the recall due to a precedent set by a 2011 recall for a similar problem, BMW said in the documents.

In August of 2011, BMW recalled 241,000 of its popular 3-Series cars to fix the rear light connections. That recall affected cars from the 2002 through 2005 model years.

Owners in the latest recall will be notified starting next month. Dealers will replace part of the rear lamp connections at no cost to customers.

Owners can call BMW at (800) 525-7417 for more information.
Meh, a little fire, melting, and possible crashes isn't a "reasonable safety risk", but they will Santa Clause them for you. Of course, no word on those who already experienced Taillightagheddon..
Old 09-20-2013, 03:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: NA

wow. i literally just picked my car up from the dealership. i took it in yesterday to get some things looked at. they wanted to charge me $178 to fix this. i told them i would just buy the part and install it myself. i wonder if they will fix it for free sometime next week. i read the recall on the nhtsa site and it said they would start fixing it next month.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kangaRuz
i wonder if they will fix it for free sometime next week..
they really don't have a choice now. they HAVE to.

if anyone here already paid someone to do this repair, contact BMW and submit your receipt. they will reimburse you. basically, 5er owners are going through the same thing that E46 owners went through about 10 years ago.

im keeping my fingers crossed that us 'headlight wiring' victims will have some justice at some point too.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's hope they will do the same thing in Europe...
Old 09-23-2013, 04:20 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do those of us with Pre-LCI cars who upgraded to LCI Tails and Bruce's cables have to worry about this wiring problem? ...Bruce?...Anyone?

All my connections look sparkly clean after a year or so.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by Crckrjck
Do those of us with Pre-LCI cars who upgraded to LCI Tails and Bruce's cables have to worry about this wiring problem? ...Bruce?...Anyone?

All my connections look sparkly clean after a year or so.
Yes I received the warning this morning on my way to work. I retrofitted my car using the bmw cable kit
Old 10-08-2013, 02:40 PM
New Members

i had this fixed last week like i said in my last post. the dealership service dept said that they didnt have anything in their system about it. i talked to bmw north america today. when they pulled my vin they said there was nothing about it listed. the guy said it possibly could not have affected my vehicle. he said there is also a chance that it was just not in the system. he told me to wait a couple of weeks to see what would happen. im going to be real mad if they tell me my car was not affected.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

what year is your car?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
what year is your car?
2008 550i msport. i used a vin decoder and my car production date falls between the ones listed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BMW issues recall for taillights