E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW & GOOGLE?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

Okay, i was at the dealer, i picked up a brochure on BMW ASSIST.
started to look though, i read about this about 3 yrs ago, but i guess its finaly out....

Sooooooooo, what exactly does this dooo???

Well, i know you can send an address to your car via BMW ASSIST and an gmail, but what else does it serve as??
Do you actually see MAPS.GOOGLE.COM on your I-Drive???

If so, can I add this feature to my 06 5'er... I do have navi, so should be no prob right???
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: /// 2006 | 530I | Silver Gray Metallic | Sport / Prem / Navi / IPod | LCI EURO SPEC Tail's | LED Licence plate bulbs | LED side turn indicators | Roof Spoiler MORE TO COME!!!!

Any One????

Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

i believe that it's similar to GMC's OnStar program. No, you can't see google maps on the iDrive screen. the only place you get internet IN your car would be in europe.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Yes, your right, the BMW ASSIST is just Like ONSTAR, but im wondering about the GOOGLE addon, that comes with the Assist in its package for all 09+
you can send addresses via email to the car, but how and when does it display stuff. and what does it display with the google feature?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by bimmerspeed' post='750862' date='Dec 22 2008, 06:39 PM
Yes, your right, the BMW ASSIST is just Like ONSTAR, but im wondering about the GOOGLE addon, that comes with the Assist in its package for all 09+
you can send addresses via email to the car, but how and when does it display stuff. and what does it display with the google feature?
They had an article about this in the latest BMW magazine, I dont quite remember all the specs, but the new google maps and search functions are now available for the I-Drive system. As mentioned above the updates are internet based (I believe), but you wont be able to actually surf the internet on your car. Check out the lastes edition of the magazine, ill read it again tonight, as I only browsed through it last time.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Members

I don't use the Google maps stuff in the car itself, but in the UK, you can go to Google, then maps, find an address (right down to street number) and use the send option. Choose car, BMW UK and enter your unique Connected drive username. Hey presto!!

You go to the idrive, go to "My Info" (just say that using the Voice Commands) and Update messages. You then have the option of even sending the details to your mobile through the Bluetooth. It's really cool.

If you know other drivers user details, you can send them your adrerss and stuff like that too. It is really good - and easily the best thing about the media pack.

As an aside, I hate the navigation routing - it never takes you the way you think you want to go, and you hav to "re route for the next...." miles to get the one you want!!! Very frustrating!

Now I know you shouldn't use the Nav on a known route, but it's brilliant for ETA and Traffic incidents...
Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Members

My Ride: Black Sapphire Metallic | Natural Brown Dakota Leather | Bamboo Anthracite wood trim | Premium Package | Adaptive Xenon Headlights | Sport Package | Active Steering | STEPTRONIC automatic transmission | Power rear sunshade with rear manual side window shades | Park Distance Control |18" Star Spoke 124 | IPod® Interface Adapter. Single CD player that plays MP3z | 5% Tint

I don't have Navi so I can't add much but I'm sure its cool to have all the Idrive/google thing and it would even be nicer surfing the web in the E60
check thihs link out
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthrea...=internet+ready
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

have a read thru member JSpira's post and article...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=63018&hl=

as well as

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mode=linearplus