E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW Factory Tours????

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

I am picking up a 545 ED in early May. I have searched threads on this site (and others) regarding factory tours. There seems to be a fair amount of conflicting information and varying opinions.

I am interested in doing the factory tour in Munich. If you all could clarify the following, it would be appreciated.

- Supposedly the tour is closed until early April; is this date accurate?
- I have never done a car factory tour, let alone a BMW tour. Many have said that the Munich tour: a) Sucks b) Consists primarily of a videotape c) Is far inferior to Regensberg or Dingolfing. Is it worth the effort?
- How long does the tour take?
- I had not planned on going to Regensberg and/or Dingolfing. How far are these away from Munich? How long are these tours? Is it worth the drive?
- The best way to schedule a tour is: a)The dealer b) BMWNA c) With the factory directly.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by fishskis' date='Jan 17 2005, 06:18 PM
I am picking up a 545 ED in early May. I have searched threads on this site (and others) regarding factory tours. There seems to be a fair amount of conflicting information and varying opinions.

I am interested in doing the factory tour in Munich. If you all could clarify the following, it would be appreciated.

- Supposedly the tour is closed until early April; is this date accurate?
- I have never done a car factory tour, let alone a BMW tour. Many have said that the Munich tour: a) Sucks b) Consists primarily of a videotape c) Is far inferior to Regensberg or Dingolfing. Is it worth the effort?
- How long does the tour take?
- I had not planned on going to Regensberg and/or Dingolfing. How far are these away from Munich? How long are these tours? Is it worth the drive?
- The best way to schedule a tour is: a)The dealer b) BMWNA c) With the factory directly.

Thanks for the help.
[snapback]80207[/snapback]
IMO the Munich tour does suck. The plant is old and the 3ers are built there. We got a tour of body stamping and welding and the paint process. We also saw the V8 motor assembly process, though the line was closed, hence our disappointment. The best part is final assembly which was closed. Dingolfing is a newer factory where the E60 is made. try getting a tour there.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 6-speed Orient Blue/Auburn

Dingolfing (5, 6, 7 series) is about an hours drive from Munich. The tour takes about 2.5 hours and you'll walk about 4 km.

Send an email to Alexander.Bachner@bmw.de and he will email you a form you'll need to fill out.