E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW and ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Hi,

I'm posting this here because it has to do with gasoline and BMW cars in general and not just E90 series.

I have a slight issue with my 2008 E93 where I detect a little shaking in the morning until it warms up and then it's nothing but smooth engine until the next morning.

The dealer went as far as testing the gasoline in the tank and they detrmined that I use 15% ethanol gas and they stated that their cars are warranted only up to 10% ethanol gas.

Now, I use a top-tier gas (Shell) and I only use premium and I had no idea about this 10% vs. 15%. Digging in a little deeper, I found out that the EPA mandates that cars MY2007 and newer must accept 15% ethanol.

Does anybody know if this also applies to BMW or if they were given an exemption? What would you do at this point? For the record, I'm going to start looking for 10% ethanol, but what am I supposed to do when the government mandates that all gas stations sell 15% ethanol gas?

What top-tier gas do you use in Massachusetts with 10% ethanol?

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's not much you can do about it.

Here in NY, gas stations have stickers that state, "contains 10% ethanol", but I've had my dealership say they've pulled more than that % out of my tank as well. The problem, as I understand it, is that the ethanol is blended in/mixed/whatever at the point of delivery, so you would need to rely on the competence of the delivery chain to measure it properly. Yeah, okay.

I have found one place locally here that sells NO ethanol gas, and let me tell you, the line is around the corner at this place. According to them, gasoline is stored at the airport, but because of the corrosive properties of ethanol, they can't blend the ethanol in until it hits the delivery truck. (Makes you wonder, huh) So all the gas is stored without ethanol. They just order it without the ethanol, and pay more for it. It's made a world of difference in my car's performance. See if you can find a place around you. You'll know which ones... they are usually very passionate about no ethanol, and they advertise as such.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ADD
There's not much you can do about it.

I have found one place locally here that sells NO ethanol gas, and let me tell you, the line is around the corner at this place. According to them, gasoline is stored at the airport, but because of the corrosive properties of ethanol, they can't blend the ethanol in until it hits the delivery truck. (Makes you wonder, huh) So all the gas is stored without ethanol. They just order it without the ethanol, and pay more for it. It's made a world of difference in my car's performance. See if you can find a place around you. You'll know which ones... they are usually very passionate about no ethanol, and they advertise as such.
Ethanol corrosive? In most situations, that is patently untrue. There are no chemical compatibility issues with ethanol and carbon steel, any stainless steel, or any metal that would be used for a storage tank or delivery vechicle. Ethanol does have poor chemical compatibility with a variety of rubber and some polymer materials, especially polyurethane.

You will definitely see a performance benefit by eliminating ethanol, as it has about 50% less combustion energy than gasoline.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i, Ducati 748

You can go on www.pure-gas.org and they have lists for every state that tells you where there are gas stations that sell ethanol-free gas.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

In GA gas stations are allowed to mix up to 15%. I think the mixture varies throughout the year because during the colder months I notice slight hesitation during startup but in the warmer months the car starts up fine.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
In GA gas stations are allowed to mix up to 15%. I think the mixture varies throughout the year because during the colder months I notice slight hesitation during startup but in the warmer months the car starts up fine.
The ethanol content is "supposed" to be constant throughout the year. Winter-blend fuels have a higher vapor pressure (ability of the gasoline to vaporize which makes it easier to ignite), in part, to combat the cold weather hard starting issue. Typically butane is added at higher levels to achieve this effect. Vapor pressure increases as temperature increases, so whenever it is warmer it will be easier to combust the fuel. Summer-blend fuels have a lower vapor pressure to avoid excessive vaporization which leads to air pollution. The summer-fuel season starts around May-June timeframe (now!) and the winter-fuel season starts in September. This is all mandated by the US EPA. Also, in the US, there are many different fuel blends that vary by region.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

ethanol isn't always a performance killer and it isn't near 50% less energy (more like 30%) but it is cheaper so the less miles/gallon isn't as bad as it may seem.

Many guys seek out E85 for the performance benefits of it (85% ethanol) which include a slower burn, higher octane than 93 gas, cooler combustion. These benefits are notable in power adder applications like our 335/535 turbo charged, high compression engines as long as you have a tune that can take advantage of it.

OP - Stick with top tier stations like Shell, Marathon, Phillips 66 for a few tanks and see if you notice a difference. Also, search on topics for intake valve cleaning - our cars can get pretty bad due to the direct injection and bad idle is a common issue. Whatever they are telling you about ethanol%, etc is just detracting from whatever the real issue is.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
ethanol isn't always a performance killer and it isn't near 50% less energy (more like 30%) but it is cheaper so the less miles/gallon isn't as bad as it may seem.

Many guys seek out E85 for the performance benefits of it (85% ethanol) which include a slower burn, higher octane than 93 gas, cooler combustion. These benefits are notable in power adder applications like our 335/535 turbo charged, high compression engines as long as you have a tune that can take advantage of it.

OP - Stick with top tier stations like Shell, Marathon, Phillips 66 for a few tanks and see if you notice a difference. Also, search on topics for intake valve cleaning - our cars can get pretty bad due to the direct injection and bad idle is a common issue. Whatever they are telling you about ethanol%, etc is just detracting from whatever the real issue is.
Unless your engine is specifically tuned to take advantage of ethanol, it is definitely a performance killer. If you run E85 blend you can expect about 25% lower fuel efficiency (miles/gallon), and this has been verified by the EPA. The main reason ethanol is added to consumer gasoline is because it is very cheap dilutant subsidized by the US government. Initially it was thought that ethanol could replace some fraction of gasoline to produce a "cleaner burning" fuel and reduced petroleum dependence. In reality, the combustion of the ethanol produces about 20% more CO2 than that for gasoline. So, if you believe in AGW (that's a big IF), then ethanol is actually worse than gasoline.

Also I meant to say that gasoline is roughly 50% more energy dense than ethanol. Based on the LHV (Lower heat of combustion):

*LHV (ethanol) = 76,330 BTU/gal
*LHV (gasoline) = 116,090 BTU/gal

% Difference = (116,090-76,330)/76,330 = 52.1%

This is not a trivial amount and results in the very real fuel efficiency differences.

* Reference: American Petroleum Institute (API), Alcohols and Ethers, Publication No. 4261, 3rd ed.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Im running a 40% mix of e85 and 60% 93. My 335i loves it
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

I just checked www.pure-gas.org and it seems as though there are only 5 gas stations in the state of California that have non-ethanol infused gas. Wow!! Very interesting topic. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: BMW and ethanol