E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

BMW dumping idrive?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW dumping idrive????

Here is an article talking about a new idrive system, that could show up as early as the next 7-series. Clearly just rumors right now.

http://www.autospies.com/news/WORLD-EXCLUS...7-Series-24513/
Old 12-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't buy it. Clearly the photoshopped steering wheel is just a gimmick for the story.

I think you'll find that iDrive refinements will come with future software versions but the basic iDrive controller is not a mistake at all. If anything, I think they made some great progress just with the LCI "popup" screens that make it much easier to get to the screens you need to get to.

M-B, Audi, etc. have already copied the wheel interface because it's one of the simplest ways to do many things while driving. The iPod dial is already something Apple is phasing out now that they've gone to the multi-touch interface but to me, those technologies work better for devices that you can hold in your hand and can spend time looking at it. In the car, you need to be able to glance at the screen for shorter periods of time while "feeling" the clicks, etc. of the controller...
Old 12-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

Clearly there will be improvements to the cockpit interface.

What is pictured will not be the improvement however.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Parts of the new design of the upcoming 7 series iDrive has already been shown. I happen to see it in a magazine where BMW proudly presented the new "widescreen" navigation for the new 7-series, and to the left the icons were visable. New design on the icons (yes, in a way more Apple-ish) but otherwise the same structure.

As said before in this thread; what BMW probably will enhance is the menu structure, shortcuts and "favorites".
Old 12-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

I needed a laugh like that. The first BMW made by Apple? Who the heck thinks this stuff up?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='508493' date='Dec 19 2007, 10:20 AM

I needed a laugh like that. The first BMW made by Apple? Who the heck thinks this stuff up?
It's been rumored for a while. There has been noise about Apple working with a number of auto manufacturers on interfaces etc, BMW is one of the companies that gets mentioned from time to time along with Jaguar.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='508336' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:50 PM
I don't buy it. Clearly the photoshopped steering wheel is just a gimmick for the story.

I think you'll find that iDrive refinements will come with future software versions but the basic iDrive controller is not a mistake at all. If anything, I think they made some great progress just with the LCI "popup" screens that make it much easier to get to the screens you need to get to.

M-B, Audi, etc. have already copied the wheel interface because it's one of the simplest ways to do many things while driving. The iPod dial is already something Apple is phasing out now that they've gone to the multi-touch interface but to me, those technologies work better for devices that you can hold in your hand and can spend time looking at it. In the car, you need to be able to glance at the screen for shorter periods of time while "feeling" the clicks, etc. of the controller...

While the idea in the article is dumb, I agree that the iDrive wheel is like the iPod. That's how I actually address questions from strangers about the system... the "how do you like iDrive?". I just tell them it's like using an iPod - you spin a wheel...

For probably 2.5 years - way before Apple released the iPod touch and iPhone, I have been suggesting that the wheel should be replaced by a small touchpad that would accept the same kinds of gestures and chords available on the newest iPods. I even specifically mentioned the company Apple bought to get the technology... Fingerworks.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by swajames' post='508498' date='Dec 19 2007, 10:37 AM
It's been rumored for a while. There has been noise about Apple working with a number of auto manufacturers on interfaces etc, BMW is one of the companies that gets mentioned from time to time along with Jaguar.
yup... like iPod interface
Old 12-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='508606' date='Dec 19 2007, 07:00 PM
While the idea in the article is dumb, I agree that the iDrive wheel is like the iPod. That's how I actually address questions from strangers about the system... the "how do you like iDrive?". I just tell them it's like using an iPod - you spin a wheel...

For probably 2.5 years - way before Apple released the iPod touch and iPhone, I have been suggesting that the wheel should be replaced by a small touchpad that would accept the same kinds of gestures and chords available on the newest iPods. I even specifically mentioned the company Apple bought to get the technology... Fingerworks.

Wouldn't the lack of tactile feedback make it more difficult for automotive applications? I agree that the multi-touch interface is nice for certain applications or devices but I'm not convinced that putting one in a car would be a step forward...
Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

People complain about iDrive since day one. I agree it is not the easiest thing to use and needs improvement. To me it is not that difficult to use. Just give yourself a couple of hours to go through each setting and sub-settings so you know where to find them next time you need them.

Quick Reply: BMW dumping idrive?